Forum home Tools and techniques

Seed tray help

Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

At the end of last season Wilko were selling off half size seed tray clear propagator lids for 5p (now 75p each) a bargain so I got 20.   This week I've bought the trays they fit (1.50 for 5) but they don't do a drip tray to match.

Any ideas to catch the drips gratefully received no matter how weird and wonderful, I use various disused pots and packaging for my gardening needs but am stumped with this one.

The trays are approx. 9" x 7" and will sit on my conservatory windowsill.

Thanks Kitty.

• Hi Kitty

You could use the clear prop lid turned upside down. As long as its water tight. I did that last year when I run out of drip trays.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Thank you Mark.

That's a really clever idea, wish I'd bought more now.

Hi Edd

Would you wrap the underside of the tray or try to mould one for it to sit on?

Edd  that was what I was thinking as I water from below to try and avoid damping off small seedlings.

I was looking at stuff I already had, supermarket mushroom trays etc and nothing fitted the bill, it didn't cross my mind to custom build my own.

Thanks for thinking outside the box, pun intended image

Thanks for the extra tip Edd,  feels like I got a BOGOF there and I love a bargain image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Never heard of the cinnamon tip, and imagine the wonderful small in the greenhouse - Christmas all year.  Will certainly try that one, thank you Edd.