Forum home Talkback

hyacinths

I was given a hyacinth growing in water. After it's finished flowering is it worth planting out in the garden?

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I would. I don't believe they flower as well year on year but there is no harm to it image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,589

I usually let the green die right back then store It until October.

we all do different, it usually all works, its just so wet where I live and the bulbs would probably rot. I dont takd the chance.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I've been planting them outside for years, and many of them do well.  They are never as big as when they were forced, and often it takes a year or two for them to recover from being forced, but we do have quite a good lot over the garden that originated from indoor ones.  i have found that the more exotic colours don't do as well outdoors as the basic pink, blue and whites - but if you have the space and the will, go for it. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,566

I like them more when they're in the garden. They always seem too top heavy indoors

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,589

After a few years they look more like bluebells!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Indeed Nutcutlet, but that perfume!  Mind you only need one or two to fill the house with the perfume.  My friend was given a box containing 9, which all flowered at once, and drove her outdoors!! They had to go onto the step to be admired from afar!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444

Just a thought - will hyacinths hybridise with native English Bluebells?  So many of us are trying to keep our bluebells pure - does anyone know?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    Many thanks everyone. Might as well plant it outside when the flowers gone over. Nothing to lose
  • Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108

These are from last year. They were left in the pot outside in a corner. I noticed them trying to flower a few weeks ago so brought them in. I am amazed.

• I've always put mine in the garden after flowering, and I have a lovey show each spring. In fact one pink one I had in a pot about 10 years ago has made babies and I now get about 5 stems of bloom on a clump from just one bulb!