Gothic, cottage, Japanese, modern

Hi,

since joining this forum, I have tried to come up with a style for my garden. Right now it's pretty much just lawns. I love the drama of gothic, the comfort of cottage, the simplicity of Japanese and the ease of modern. 

Is it possible to combine all of them? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,487

How big is your garden? You could divide it into garden rooms using trellis or hedges, or walls if you're good at building. All together might be a bit difficult! Or you could do cottage with gothic touches or combine Japanese with modern as modern is usually fairly simple in design.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • My garden consists of a small lawn, which is about 6 metres by 7 metres, a larger lawn being about 12 metres by 7 metres. Then a virtually dark area in between my and my neighbour's house which is also slopy. The back...oh dear...that looks like a miniture version of the Welsh Valleys and after noon it's in the shade. In there grow brambles, which I keep trimmed and during summer I hang my washing there. I have tried to dig in the back, but that felt like doing an archaeologic dig lol. I dug up things like a Belfast sink, a pair of glasses, and old rug, a pair of slippers and even dentures. So I gave up on the digging bit, but plan to make it look nice with planters. 

• I like the idea with rooms, Busy-Lizzieimage I could sit in different areas depending on what mood I am in. 

You could do gothic in the dark bit, cottage with lots of flowers in one lawned bit, modern with perhaps a seating area in other lawned bit and the back bit could be covered with weed suppressant fabric and gravel and have pots with Japanesey sort of plants like acer palmatum (green and purple), bamboos (smaller varieties) and camellias and dwarf rhododendrons in acid compost.image

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-Lizzie...I doubt it, but I hope you live close to me. You really want to look at this open canvas. I love the way you envision my garden and like you to be my garden designer image 

• I'm dreaming of lilacs and hyacinths atm...to give me some privacy. I'm not allowed to plant a hedge (I'm renting of the housing office :-P). However...I'm only not allowed to plant a hedge that grows taller than the garden fence close to the fenceimage. So I randomly planted some shrubs in the first quarter of the smaller lawnimage

I will get my private spaces in this garden and I will get them complying with the rulesimage. The one thing I might do, so they will think of me for decades is to sneak in a weeping willowimage 

I think you've realised now that I live in France. (another thread)     

But I've been gardening for over 40 years, still make mistakes though.

You can put shrubs in big pots to give privacy. If you are good at art, but short of cash you can use plastic dustbins with paint effects. Make sure they have drainage holes in the bottom.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • The idea of using large planters is great. That way I can test before planting into soil what looks best and fairs best in certain areas. Brilliant idea, Busy-Lizzie image