Forum home Fruit & veg

Garlic

• I know about the supermarket chains being nasty and wanting to boycott gardeners when it comes to that, but it's three cloves in a pot and they'll stay in that pot. When I popped them in there I thought: "Supermarket...I wouldn't put it past them if these are modified and could contaminate the soil if planted out". My garlics are more of an experiment rather to be used culinary. Had a look earlier and the green stems are now peeking out of the soil, so they're defo alive.

Right now I have such a planting-bug...I want to plant everything. Today the Spirea goes into a large container, as I don't yet know where I want it and the pot she's in now is so tiny. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,792
    Willowkitten wrote (see)

I know about the supermarket chains being nasty and wanting to boycott gardeners when it comes to that, but it's three cloves in a pot and they'll stay in that pot. When I popped them in there I thought: "Supermarket...I wouldn't put it past them if these are modified and could contaminate the soil if planted out"....

It's nothing to do with anything like that!   It's just that garlic which has been sold for growing are grown in virus-free soil and are guaranteed to be virus-free.  Garlic bulbs bought for cooking with may have picked up a virus from the soil/air/insects at some time while it was growing.  The viruses that alliums can carry aren't harmful if you eat them, it's just that the plant will not make such good growth and will yield poorly.  It's just the same reason that it's recommended to use bought 'seed' potatoes from virus free stock rather than planting left-over cooking potatoes which may carry a virus.

Another reason why it's recommended to plant garlic bought especially for growing on is because the varieties in the garden centres etc will be suitable for growing in the UK climate - those bought in the supermarkets for cooking with are likely to have been grown in a mediterranean climate and will not perform well in our climate which is on the northern edge of their range.

The suggestion that supermarkets, and by implication the farmers who supply them with vegetables, would intentionally contaminate them is ludicrous!  What do you think they feed to their own families image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Gemma, that is a great idea of planting my rocket in between the garlic... (why did i not think of this?!?!) AS for them being shop bought i'm not bothered if they don't turn out as well as other gardening garlic, as i'm learning, if i can make a shop one live then i will be better when i get other garlic, i'm still in the trying stage. if they fully grow then great they will be used in the kitchen, it will also be interesting to then have something to compare the next ones too as i will have some idea of what shop ones are like in comparison to other kinds image

Willow i know what you mean about wanting to go wild and get everything planted! i can hardly wait for the nice weather to come to grow my other veggies ( i have just gone n' bought 6 tomato plants (didn't even cost £4-which was the postage fee! so they will be arriving end april image YAAY!

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

My first go was bunging in some shop bought ones last year. Nothing bad happened, but they didn't come to much, I put it down to putting them in really way too late in the year but they did try to grow.

It was well gone October when I found out one can plant them out in the garden around that time (the winter cold helps to form cloves from what I read). Then I found out I could start them indoors in January, so did. image

• Dovefromabove, no matter what you say to me, I still think that there's a world of difference between what the masses get to eat and what the rich eat. But this is a discussion that would break the boundaries of this forum and I won't even start. All I say is this and I invite you to do you own research:

Monsanto wants to e.g.: Get a patent for seeds and modify them in a way that they won't produce dead seeds (that's just of one their cunning ideas)

The boss of Nestlé has said that drinking water is not a human right. 

I don't mind if anyone calls me a 'conspiracy theorist' and/or offers me a home made tinfoil hat, but either way I know this was said by them and you can find it out for yourselves. 

For now...let's just stick to Happy Gardening in here. I really enjoy reading in here, commenting and in the process savvying myself up about gardening in general. 

GemmaJF, that's pretty what I did image I wanted to make a spaghbol the other day and found green tips growing and just as I wouldn't mince a living animal, I couldn't get myself to chop up these three garlic cloves image. So I buried them in what seems to be 'alive' instead image 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I'm converted regarding the Supermarkets and what they are doing to food, almost anything is imaginable and if they can think of it, I'm now convinced they will do it if they think it will increases profits. I'm totally convinced the last thing they are worried about is the customer's nutrition or welfare.

That is why I started to grow my own. No more disintegrating carrots for us or greens that have been selected on purpose to have low vitamin content so they have a longer shelf life, it's all fresh and tastes great. imageimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    "Supermarket...I wouldn't put it past them if these are modified and could contaminate the soil if planted out"

Willowkitten, where do you get such nonsense from? How about some links to respected scientific literature!
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    'Monsanto wants to e.g.: Get a patent for seeds and modify them in a way that they won't produce dead seeds (that's just of one their cunning ideas)'

I think you allowed a typo to get into this sentence. Did you write won't instead of will?? It's called the 'terminator gene'.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,792

Willowkitten - a member of my family is a large vegetable farmer supplying vegetables to major supermarkets - I have a pretty good knowledge of what I'm talking about.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Welshonion...are you kidding me by requesting mainstream scientific links. The mainstream scientist who are busying themselves to modify foods work for the mainstream. But here is a link for you:

http://www.organicgarden.org.uk/monsanto-want-to-patent-common-vegetables/

Geesh...I did say before that the corruption of the coporations is NOT a subject for this blissful forum, did I? 

And yes, Welshonion, it was a spello: ...in a way that they will produce dead seeds..." A lot of farmers in the USA have to deal with that already.

I also have a pretty good knowledge of what I am talking about, Dovefromabove...and it isn't good news.