Forum home Fruit & veg

Garlic

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

comp13, i don't think it would be too late to grow your galic image

• comp13comp13 NorthamptonPosts: 56

thanks LucyL

Amateur vegetable gardener with dreams of a bigger garden one day. 
  • Wow, thank you, LucyL It's 9 Degrees Celcius out here today. So I think I'll pop them outside. I don't heat very much anyway, so they should be ok now. Can't wait to cook with my own garlic image 

haha yes well im in inverness scotland, and it hasn't been any warmer that 4 Degrees Celcius, when i planted them out the ground was just soft enough to get them in, next day we had frost again and they seem to be doing fine image.

I feel the same, but how on earth am i going to eat all this garlic? (I had only just bought a whole rope? of garlic) lol! So i hope no more of it grows! haha! Or everyone will be getting garlic for birthday pressies lol! or i suppose i could sell them lol. I love comming outside every day and seeing them still growing - its very rewarding image

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

That's good news Lucy, I won't need to be too worried about getting mine out into the ground. It's slow here though 'cos we are on sticky wet clay and I don't get out on it early in the year, though it does seem to be drying out quicker this year than last year. image

PS my solution to eating loads of garlic is having a trainee chef as son, he'll use it all and ask for more. image

• I found this video about harvesting and storing garlic. With the amount you're growing, LucyL you could even braid them image. Looks very decorative and would make an awesome present. Later this year I'll planting loads more. Popped my pot with three cloves outside this afternoon and they seem to be ok.

Yes I will be using my garlic in all my recipes image and Willow, I am hoping to braid them (that's the word i was looking for earlier lol!). I would rekon that your garlic should do fine. I was never planning on doing 24 lol! was only thinking 12 at very most lol! I think i just got carried away, but now have the problem of it takes up 2 squares instead of one so i think my Rocket will need to be planted in something else lol! As each square was meant to be for something different (carrot, garlic, red onion, rocket, chives and Litle Gem Lettice).

• Morning willow, having completed my veg patch yesterday, will pop pictures up when I've tidied It up, I was reading through my veg book about garlic.

I also looked up on Garderners World for advice. Now, without throwing a spanner in the works, they advised not to use supermarket bought garlic as it could have a disease (un harmful to us) and best to be planted October November outside, as the cold spell benefits the bulb.

Lucy you could have a go with intercropping the Rocket with garlic. By the time the garlic starts to fatten up you can have the Rocket out and on the plate image It will help keep weeds down between the garlic bulbs too. I had to do a lot of weeding around my onions last year as the leaves are vertical they don't suppress weeds well on their own. 

I never planned on 40 either, I ordered a couple of seed bulbs from Suttons, put all the cloves in and had 40 of them. Then they all grew!