just had 80 large plugs arrive how long will they hold for

ninnin Posts: 186

Just had an order of 80 large plug perrenials arrive and some raspberry canes.

Was not expecting for a few weeks yet and the bed is not ready.

Not sure how long can keep outside in there little containers.

these have been grown in the uk outside.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 46,949

Where did you order them from and what are they?

What are they in at the moment?

Did they come with any instructions?

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 12,266

Keep them in a sunny, shletered spot and water and feed them.  Pot them on to bigger pots as soon as you can so they can grow without any check to their roots.

The Vendée, France
  • ninnin Posts: 186

Hi dove ordered from jparkers

they are in solid plastic containers that hold six plants and are fitted around the plant

a good little guide to all plants they do but instructions seem more for larder plants not these plugs

I am hoping to get them in tuesday and arrived friday

• LynLyn Posts: 9,845

I always order from Parkers, only sale stuff, but you do need to nurture them. I pot them up and keep them in a cold greenhouse for planting out when they are showing signs of growing well. Definitely not yet.

Dont plant out before Mid April, or later if they are not growing well.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • ninnin Posts: 186

I got mine from parkers because they said could plant out.

planted in sunny spot  under cloches in raised bed by house.

got the bed dug but it needs feeding well and been let down with my well rotted manure supply. now cant find anyone who deliveres local to me for less than 60 quid for a bulk bag and i needed at least six to do the whole garden. I have a free collection supply but in the back of the car thats a lot of trips.

At this rate compost and manure are going to cost about £800 and my soil is truly knackered.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,293

Last year I ordered some large plug plants but grew them on first in a cold greenhouse before planting them out.  I wouldnt put small plants out yet it's a bit too cold.  I think I would email/call parkers and talk through your dilemma with them.  That way if you do plant out and they fail you can call them back and tell them you want replacement plants as you followed their guidelines to the letter. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands