Forum home Talkback

Blind Bulbs.

Will Bulbs that have in previous years flowered well but have subsequently failed to flower always remain blind ? I have some in pots that have behaved this way and others that have continued to flower. i am wondering whether it is worth re~ planting them in the garden or should they be thrown away. What do you think ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

What sort of bulbs, butterfly6?  All bulbs only flower when they have built themselves up enough, so your problem may be lack of nutrients, especially if they have been in the same soil in the pot for sevral years.  Lack of watering when the flowers have bloomed can also be an issue - they need feeding and watering after flowering until the leaves die down naturally, as it is those leaves which build the bulb up for the next year.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

Are they daffs? Did you leave all the leaves on the plants and let them die down naturally rather than cutting them down or tying them up? Are they overcrowded in their pot maybe? Could the narcissus fly have got to them?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310

Have they been fed and watered after the flowers have gone and allowed to die down naturally, and then repotted in fresh compost in the autumn?  That's what bulbs in pots need in order to flower again the following year.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes I have done all that and yes they are daffs. Could it be because they are several years old ?