Forum home Problem solving

Back garden privacy

• Yes I think it was too much for her, it was becoming overgrown!

I don't know what she had, mixture of trees, shrubs and ivy growing over her trellace.

I'm thinking about putting a new trellace up (full width of garden) to add height to our fence between up and plant things that can grow up this. Then at the back I will need something bigger (tree/ shrub of some kind) to block out people I don't know.
  • Buddleia perhaps? Very quick growing, pretty flowers and attracts butterflies. Forsythia grows quite quick and hypericum has grown from a £1 twig to a fair size bush in 3 years (from Poundland!) - bush near the hose in the picture below. Ask friends, who have gardens, for cuttings. This is my garden at 12 months old from absolutely nothing - brand new house. Grow broad beans up tall canes - food as well as privacy!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BE577E107A916E5A!6490&authkey=!AGkoFXcQ5MhEvsg&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,495

DON'T grow Leylandii in a small garden, it can get huge and if you cut it back too far it doesn't regrow and stays brown. I agree with Swiss Sue that Thuja is a much better evergreen. Photinia Red Robin is a pretty, evergreen shrub. I like Dove's suggestion too about the trellis and the clematis, I have already suggested it to others. It wouldn't grow too wide into your garden. If you want a tree then crab apples are good for small gardens and you can get some quite narrow flowering cherries.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • This may not be popular (with gardeners) but put up a six foot fence.  It will be worth the expense.   And then put your shrubs and flowers in front of it.    A trellis is not that good for privacy I think.

In my experience large plants can get to be very time consuming with cutting them back etc.  The thuja that Swiss Sue recommended take about 12 inches a year to grow.   You want something instant, so it won't be plants.  

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi Katy2 if you do use any clematis i suggest you look at Montana its group 1 no bother very strong and quick growing and looks great. good luckimage

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,949

I would not grow leylandi in a small garden

If you want something quick and private , subject to cost is a 6 ft fence  with concrete posts , then grow clematis , buddlia , honey suckle up it need to see whats in the sun / shade plus other climbing plants

what ever you do best of luck image

• Thank you all for the advice, some great tips!! Lizzybusy your garden is fantastic, lots of effort gone into that. Never heard of forsythia - beautiful colour!! Lots of options for me to think about thank you xx
  • Ooh thank you very much!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,940

If it were me having small children playing, I would,  without a doubt put up 5/6ft fencing.

Trellis with clematis is not green all year round, at the moment my montana looks awful, like a load of dead straw, you need something enclosed. Even the quickest growing trees/shrubs wont grow big enough by the summer when the little ones are out playing. Maybe your neighbour wants to look in!

My daughter is a childminder and has 6ft high fences, even along the roadside where they should be only one metre, but in the circumstances was allowed to leave it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I would put up a 6ft fence as well. All plants planted will take years to give a really good privacy belt and a fence will really help.