Forum home Tools and techniques

Old secateurs

I've just been clearing out the greenhouse. So far I've found two hand forks, one of those claw cultivator things, and three pairs of secateurs (among an awful lot of other stuff!). One is a Felco pair, and another is Wilkinson Sword. They are quite rusty, the Felco ones are seized up. Is it worth trying to save them, and if so, how?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,079

Felco are excellent secateurs and expensive, my dad bought some when he was in collage for tree surgery, that probably over 30years ago and there are still the best secateurs he got or ever had. 

give blade a sharpen with a flail, bit of grease to loosen them up, and i probably get wire brush on them to get rust off 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,861

Felco do provide a service where you post them off and they refurbish them (for about £15 if I remember rightly) - well worth it, they are the best imhoimage.  Google for details.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • It's £20 nowadays, but it doesn't matter what state they are in or require proof of purchase http://www.felco.com/felco/home.page?culture=gb-en

• Thanks for the info about the service. I'd like to have a go myself first, just not sure how to de-rust. They are actually too big for my hand so probably wouldn't use them myself.