Forum home The potting shed

Moss

I have a front garden which is mainly covered with moss. I am going to remove and re-seed the lawn. My instinct was to compost what I pull up but was looking for other ideas of how to use this resource to my advantage? And sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread but I had no idea where to put it!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

At this time of year I bundle it up, put it in a string or net bag and hang it in the shrubs or on the fence and watch the bluetits using it their nesting material.  Then later in the summer when it's dry and dead I put it in the compost bin.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have far too much moss to compost so ended up stuffing it into bags and taking it to the tip. I did 4 car loads last autumn and am now starting round two. I also have bundles stuffed into wirenetting for the birds. As yet they are not very interested!  Hate the stuff.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    If you put it in the compost straight away, you will spread moss everywhere you put compost. You can put it in rubble sacks or old compost bags until it is completely, completely dead and then use the resultant soil in the garden.

All depends what kind of moss it is. We have it on paths and the drive. When it dries out the blackbirds rake through it for worms.
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I have heard that some bonsai growers like to put moss on their trees when exhibiting them. Apparently dried ground up moss keeps for a long time and can be re-constituted by adding water and keeping it moist. This suggests that even keeping it in bags for a long time might not really kill it. Maybe it would be best to just throw it away. Or bag it up and sell it to bonsai growers on ebay!