LEMON TREE

I have just watched and listened to Monty Dons advice on lemon trees.    My lemon tree still has lemons on it, but needs some help.   Can I, as Monty advised replace the top of the soil and feed with seaweed fertilizer, or is it best to stick to my citrus fertilizer?   The leaves are a bit yellow and there are a lot of new leaves (green) on the tree. 

Any advice will be good.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd do as Monty says Liz!

• Liz26Liz26 Posts: 7

Ok, thanks.   I wondered, because it still has fruit, whether to treat it any different.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Ibought a Lemon tree today from my local garden centre, I have the special citrus feed and made some up to give my new plant its first drink.. Its only a foot talland I bought a nice planter for it too, it has 2 decent sized Lemons on it, or should I say 'Did' cos I accidentaly knocked on off when I was applying the liquid feed....image  not a good start..

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Thats a lot to remember image Thanks for replying..  Minr is a little small to go outside.. We have 70mph winds tonight...     I just feel sad I knocked off a fruit a good sized one at that..

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

I stopped feeding mine (in containers) more than month ago. They're heading into dormancy and don't need stimulation. I enclose the pergola on the terrace with heavy-duty plastic sides to create a large greenhouse. They live happily inside. All I do is monitor the moisture levels. 

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I have grown an orange and a satsuma from seed which live in my poly tunnel. They are about 18 inches tall now [2 years] and all I do is give them a feed of Growmor twice a year and keep the soil moist. They put on new growth in mid October - early November. I did re-pot the orange in mid summer, using ordinary compost, and it really liked that, perking up quite a bit.