Hedgehog or rats

12346»

• bazabaza Posts: 587

Hello Boater i have had to resort to poison as i found the nest .It is at the bottom of my allotment on the the other side of my fence .What i did was put 2 piles of poison near the entrance holes, and they were big piles of the stuff , one night and in the morning checked the poison and every bit of it had been eaten .When i told my neighbour that they had eaten the lot he said there must of been a lot a of rats to eat that much.

The rat catcher is coming to the allotments soon so i will rebait that area again to see if they are still there or have perished.

Its not just my allotment other people are having problems too but i hope what i'm doing other people are too

Thanks

Baz

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,295

Hello Baza.    We've spoke about your rat problem before and I'm pleased you have got poison for them.    They will eat an ENORMOUS amount of poison every day over a long time.  As rule it will do the trick eventually if you have them in a garden environment.    As you have found that your other allotmentiers are also having a problem, I think you will do best with the 'rat catcher',  have a good clear out and then keep a  constant supply of poison around.    Good luck Baza, keep us posted. image

Will do 1Runnybeak1 i also put some under the shed where the dropping are but that hasnt been touched so in a way i'm pleased they have moved from there but you are right about the rat catcher he or she will be the best preson to get rid of these pests as i and many others don't want rats eating crops or peeing on them.

Thanks

Baz

Just an update on the rat problem .The Ratman came and baited lots of allotments mine included and at the moment the rats haven't touched the bait that is hidden in my allotment but other people have told me the bait in their gardens has been taken so hopefully the problem is now under control but i'll be keeping an eye on things.

Baz

• I have been trying for years to attract hedgehogs into my garden; I have a pond, wild areas and a specially designed house ( a "des. res.") by a log pile under trees but no hogs have visited or stayed. All I have seen so far are dead rats in the straw filled bedroom- what am I doing wrong?  I so much want a hedgehog to share or at least visit my garden!

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Susannah, search our Help Save the Hedgehogs threads, lots of advice there. You could try a feeding station - search youtube for tutorials but the main thing is ensuring access to and from your garden with neighbours e.g. via holes in gates or fences 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,878

Baza & 1runnybeak1

Rats will take & store food they don't eat it all straight away. You have to continue to bait until they stop taking it. Rats are immune to a lot of the generally available baits. I managed to get a stronger one from a GC but the professionals have much better stuff than any of us can buy.

AB Still learning