Hedgehog or rats

• bazabaza Posts: 606

Thanks Singing Gardener i'll stick with the traps for a week or 2 if i don't catch any then poison it'll be...

Hello Everyone i've recently saw the mother of all rats walking past my greenhouse a couple of days ago i've got the traps down at the side of the greenhouse but they got sprung and nothing so which poison do you's recomend i need to get this sorted now before they eat my crops again.

Regards

Baz

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,426

I wouldn't mess about Baza.  Get the strongest poison you can otjerwise they will over run your plot.   You don't want them peeing on your crops either as they carry Weils desease which is very unpleasant.  

Yes your right 1 runnybeak1 I was gutted when I saw it gonna speak to the allotments commity to see about getting poison . I'll keep you posted

Baz
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

I've been outsmarted by a crow for years, tried everything I could think of to stop him making off with fat balls from the bird table. Never did outwit him.

gemmajf  while i was a my friends in france, we were chatting about the crows stealing all her cherries so we made some large 'crows' out of metal coathangers and bin liners and hung them near the trees so they could fly about in the wind and the real crows thought there was a big crow on that territoryimage

Hello Everyone I've found a rat hole which i know the beast of a rat uses, it is the other side of my fence.What i was thinking was sticking a hose pipe in it,as i can reach it through the holes in the fence,and either making them scatter or drown them.

Would this help me?

Thanks

Baz

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,619

Well, you'll move him out and you might drown his offspring - but if he's found somewhere nearby that provides him with food, he'll stay around - he'll just find somewhere else to live.  I think I'd leave the hole alone and show it to the rat man/woman when they come to lay the baits - you'll give them a chance to identify the rats' usual 'rat runs'etc.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

i have seen it twice now .When i saw it today it was on the other side of the fence less than a foot away from me when it strutted past me.The worrying thing is i hope its not getting used to me being there.

Baz

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,619

Lull it into a false sense of security then fell it with a scissor kick! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Make sure your traps are against a wall with the baited side to the wall - I'm not sure exactly why but it seems to be to make sure the rats (or mice in mouse traps) are in the right position for the trap to kill them. Near the wall because the travel along walls not out in the open.

Wear gloves to avoid getting your scent on the traps or bait.

Consider that mice will also like the same bait as rats and may be small enough for the trap to snap shut without touching them....

I'm not sure about spring traps outdoors where any beasties could set them off, I'm trying a poison bait box for my 'rat' (bound to be more than one) and really hoping it does the trick.

I looked into other methods - humane traps sound great (especially because you can release anything else you catch in error) but it is illegal to release a live black rat or grey squirrel in the UK so you need a method to kill them in relatively humane way after you capture them (starving to death or drowning are not considered humane enough). On private land in England you could use an airgun, but probably not in an allotment. In Scotland it seems we will be getting an airgun licensing law later this year where you would need a good reason to get a license, vermin control is a good enough reason, but apparently not if you are doing it in a small or urban garden, so I'll be staying well clear of airguns. Also you need to be a good shot for shooting to be humane.

So realistically the DIY options are spring traps or poison in bait boxes - either way you need to be careful about placement to avoid accidentally killing something else.

Professionals have more options that we do DIY, for example they are able to use equipment to asphyxiate rats caught live, and access to different poisons, so if the simple options don't do it, best to call in the experts.