Hedgehog or rats

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,619

Are they adjusted properly?  Have you tried setting them and then pressing the pressure plate with a (longish) stick?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bazabaza Posts: 606

Hello dovefromabove yes tried them out and yes they worked properly , very sensitive to the touch i'm starting to think are the rats eating the dead ones.

Not the best thread i've posted here but in need of everyones advice

Thanks

Baz

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,619

Rats are very crafty.  When I've had a rat problem I've used one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/procter-rat-bait-station/71520

It sorted the problem within a few days.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rats are very clever. When something new arrives near their runs they avoid the object for a couple of weeks. Be patient, handle the traps wearing rubber gloves to hide your scent and you will have success eventually.

When I was dealing with mine it took almost 3 weeks before I caught an enoumous one, I persevered and eventually caught 5 in total, some obviously smaller and younger so I assumed they were a family.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,426

I agree with Joyce.  Rats are very clever.  If it were my problem I would leave the traps down and set.  Your never really sure if you've got them  all so it wont hurt to leave them and check every so often.  That's if it's safe to do so of course.  Good luck Baza. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You must check the trap every day. Every so often is not often enough!
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

You could try baiting with a bit of fish tied to the trap, so they can't just pick it off and scarper. Fish is very effective for attracting rats to traps according to farming friends I have.

• bazabaza Posts: 606

Hello Everyone

Been checking the traps everyday and they are being sprung but nothing trapped .I'm using chocolate paste which doesn't slide off .

Where am i going wrong or have i got to be patient.

Getting outsmarted by a rodent not good he he

Thanks

Baz

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

I've been outsmarted by a crow for years, tried everything I could think of to stop him making off with fat balls from the bird table. Never did outwit him. image

• I had exactly the same problem - my traps were sprung but I didn't ever catch any rats. Also after they had been sprung a couple of times the rats then avoided them as they'd obviously worked out that touching them wasn't a good idea. I then tried an electronic trap, which did kill 2 rats but I don't think it's very humane - the first rat was still alive when I checked and I had to get OH to finish it off. Even with 2 rats dead I still saw others around so resorted to poison. The first one I used didn't work so I switched to a different one (Roban) and have now been free of rats for several weeks.