Forum home Wildlife gardening

pond

Hi, My pond (which was cleaned a little last year) has gone a little bluish, as though some milk has been spilled in it. It started at one end but has slowly spread. I think it must be some kind of algae but i'm not sure. Water snails & plants appear ok but it is not attractive looking. Can anyone enlighten me? Chris

• goddygoddy Posts: 35

Thank you phillippa but I don't have fish. I have my pond purely for nature. Chris

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

Any chance of a photo?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Is it like a bluish film on the top of the pond?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    It's not frog spawn, is it?

To answer all three replies 1) I could take a photo but Ido not think it will show up, I will give it a try though. 2) It completely fills the pond 3) It definately is not spawn.

I have heard of a "blue algea" in some large areas(like reservoir size) but I have never  seen it. I do get leaves falling in, but this happens every year, hence the clean out last year.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It's probably the result of the fallen leaves rotting in the pond. A pond I look after has a bluish film, bit like a diesel film, I just scoop out the leaves and it goes away after a while, natural process this time of year really. 

I have seen the film as you describe, hence the clean out last year, but this is not on the surface but in the water. It started in one part of the pond and slowly spread. My pond has been established now for about 5/6 yrs.now and am totally flumoxed.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

It sounds like a simple algal bloom - best wait until the warm weather when things start growing again. It will either sort itself out then, or not! I suspect the clean out might have disturbed nutrients hiding in the bottom of the pond and the algae are making the most of them. When the growing season starts again the balance ought to return to the pond in time as the plants grow and start to take nutrients out of the system again.

Thank you to all of you for your replies. I found a regurgitated starling(YUK) at the side of the pond when I was trying to take photos (not sucsessful, too much reflection) This made me wonder if there was something dead in my pond. So I will summon up the courage to have a rake around when I have a few minutes. Will let you all know if there is.