butterfly sighting

While tidying in the garden today, I saw a red admiral butterfly on my mahonia.

I haven't seen one this early in the year before, has anyone else seen any butterflies?

• Its certainly been warm enough in some spots, i thought i saw something fwhich was white and fluttery the other day, only small, but i was too far away to see properly, lets hope the weather stays mild and they can make up for previous years! image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,377

Apparently Red Admirals have started to overwinter in parts of the UK, and then on sunny days they'll pop out to feed - yet another reason why it's so important to have some nectar-rich flowers around at this time of year image

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/uk-butterflies-status/red-admiral-1664990.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,140

I was in an old barn yesterday, I didn't see any live butterfly's but loads and loads of bits of wings scattered everywhere. .  I know they used to hibernate in there so hopefully there are lots hiding and waiting the warmer days.  Wished I'd taken a pic now. 

• Here to here to warmer weather. 

Thks Dove - useful info. Shall keep my eye out for more to come. I'm in sussex so notepad warm as south west but obviously warm enough. 

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,473

How lovely Blubell. So nice to spot wildlife.

• Aww thks tootles.  The sighting has made my day imageimage

• My son found one in a car park a couple of weeks ago. We took it a place of vegetation. A colleague said she has had some over winter in her spare bedroom!
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,799

My OH has seen a   Tortoise Shell butterfly twice now ,over the last week.

• I haven't seen any yet, its a bit early still in NE Scotland.  My daughter reared and released some painted lady butterflies in 2013, here is the link to the short video.

http://youtu.be/2qegvKY4Gwg

• And last week the domestic bees were feeding on my camelia - which is a blaze, together with solitary (bumble) bees. Good signs all round; roll on spring; I feel my old bones warming and - no I'll leave it there. The birds seem to be up to spring antics though.

Chopped back all my clematis the other day (except Armandii) 5" from the ground. Ville de Lyon was 12 feet high; it takes some nerve, but it does work. Just got to keep the slugs off the new growth.