Garden Claw

I have just inherited a garden claw (still in it's box) and wondered if any forum members have used one of these.  I will not be trying it out until about March - but is there a technique/advantage or disadvantage using one?  I intend to use it on the allotment  which has already been completely dug over pre-winter so I am open to any comments/advice. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

I used to have one of these but never found a use for it. I suppose if someone several feet away from you suddenly told you that they had an itchy back you would be able to help them out.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

I had to google it to find out what the thing looked like.  If I had one, I would use it to loosen up the dug-over soil this spring prior to planting seedlings.  You could do it gently without disturbing too much of the soil structure (as you a shovel would).  

Utah, USA.
  • Ive used mine a bit, at the moment, its a make shift bird feeder! Its worth a go is all i can say, im very short, so that could be why it didnt suit.

Its ok for "tickling" the soil inbetween plants where its difficult to get a spade in image
  • A long time ago ,sadly some may say, I spent a whole Boxing Day morning getting my allotment ready for the spring using the claw

It worked fine and the exercise was great for a post Xmas workout.Upper body that is.

It was easy to use and as the soil was good not difficult to work.It was much faster and much less effort than a spade or fork and did a better job.

Years later I still use it for mixing compost additions , in fact used it yesterday to mix some coarse sand into some potting mix.

Most of my tools bought on impulse have been giving away but not this one.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,432

As long as the soil isn't too heavy it works really well.  I inherited mine when my mother died.  I've used it to open up the soil in the spring after it's been compacted by the winter weather.  The technique takes a bit of getting used to but much easier than forking or using a spade.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Sounds like it might be useful KT53 and November Member.  I don't think I would ever give up digging my plot in the conventional way - maybe!

Thanks for your replies. 

• As previously stated it's great for breaking up a compacted top layer, but can also be used as a makeshift hoe if used on its side! 2 jobs done in one go

• My Dad bought me one a couple of years ago and I scoffed to begin with and ignored it but now I do like it. I've used it for aerating the compost pile and breaking up the compacted soil and then instead of using a hoe. My six year old loves it as well as he isn't co-ordinated enough to use a spade without causing major injury to those around him. Mine has a long handle so not sure if that is an extra factor I making useful. If you haven't got a lot of storage it is beneficial as well.
  • Shaz8Shaz8 Posts: 5

If anyone has a garden claw they no longer want,  I'll take it off your hands .I want one and can't find one!

• Hi Shaz8.

If this helps.

I have just been on EBay and searched for  "garden claw."

At present they have well over forty for sale.

All different sorts but the one I have is shown at £24 . Some are much cheaper from a few pounds and  most offer free postage.