Forum home The potting shed

gypsophilia

Hi I have just bought some gypsophilia bulbs and although I know this sounds daft im not sure which way up to plant them as what I think  is the roots sprouting looks like little green leaves.Please help.  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Gypsophila doesn't grow from a bulb, there should be roots and the beginnings of leaves, or maybe at this stage no leaves, but don't look for a bulb

Can you get a photo?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,704

Gypsophilia is a herbaceous perennial, not a bulb. Presumably you have a dry root.

White roots go down,green shoots grow up, plant in a pot of

Compost to get it started before you plant in the final position.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I have tried growing gypsophilla several times and find it quite short lived, only a couple of years or so. Have just lost a lovely low, spreading pink one. Have decided to buy another plant and take cuttings each year to make sure I have a couple of plants to replace dead ones.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,556

I have never had perennial ones. I grow lots of seeds every year for the garden and the tubs, its very easy, every one germinates and you get hundreds in a packet of seeds.

I take it Gypsophilia and Gypsophila are the same plant? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

its gypsophila but often gets an extra i.

There are many species, annual and perennial.

G. paniculata is the one I've seen being sold bare rooted in supermarkets and GC. 

• hi , I have the same problem- its like a twig and shoots came out sideways from the bottom- are these roots ? I got it from aldi - I'm wondering how to plant it ?

• I would just put it in a pot of good compost for now keep it frost free and would not worry about up or down,

It has been shown on many occasions that regardless of which way around things are planted the leaves always find the light. If you think about it you never know with a seed you just put it in and it growsimage

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
  • thankyou gb- do I leave the stalk out of the compost though?

• I bought some gypsophilia in January from Poundland. Two bags for £1.94 and I got seven sticks. I put them in moist compost in the greenhouse and all are shooting. They had little buds or the start of shoots on the top end, not much fine roots at all. Have to say I was quite worried, but all is well.

Like others I have found that it dies after 2 or 3 years.

Helen - I covered mine about 2cm.

• h h I would plant the whole thing. I'm a bit of a chuck it in and see gardener if its brown and shrivelled bury it image not had many failures over the years and its been many years image and sometimes some wonderful surprises.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.