Forum home Talkback

Nest Box Camera

i am thinking of getting OH a nest box camera as an anniversary present.  does anyone have any advice?  Has anyone bought one?  Are they easy to fit?  Are the results any good, assuming that some birds chose to nest where the camera is, of which there are no guarantees of course.

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

Thanks for the advice, Pansyface.  I am really tempted to get one.  I will have a look at the RSPB site.  I don't know if OH and me have the techie expertise between us but I'm sure we can find some help if need be.  Lovely that you got some nesting birds in your first year, even if was a little harrowing!

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I was given a wireless one as a retirement present and was thrilled but it was impossible to use as the signal from the camera was too weak to even go through glass never mind a brick wall. Birds moved in anyway but we didn't see them. When we moved house we left it behind and bought a much better one - not wireless this time - so we have put it on the house wall and run the cable in through the window. We did have trouble finding the right kind of cable to link it to a laptop but we happened to have an old tv and it works fine when plugged into the aux sockets on there. 

I think it's a great idea for an anniversary present. Lucky OH image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,574

We fitted a black and white cctv camera(less than £10) in a box a few years back. The blue tits reared a brood and we watched it on the telly. I thought it was interesting. I think it would be very good if you had kids.

I'm thinking of a trailcam to see what we get in the dark.

• Nice pressie, but don't be disappointed if and when your feathered friends don't use the camera box, but an adjacent one instead. Suppose the only solution is only have the one box in your garden, but they have a choice of 6 here, even then some years, none are used.

Pays your money, takes your chances. Good luck  

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have this Ad at the top of my screen at the moment, looks good and seems simple enough to fix up. I have never had one but it looks a lovely thing to do. 

http://www.gardenessentials.co.uk/product/camera-nest-box 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.