shady, wet spot plant recommendations needed

I've got a small spot next to one of my paths, its in shade all year and very damp as a land drain system runs about two feet underneath it.

i'm looking for ideas for small plants (because its next to the pathway) that will grow happily in shade and wet, I've already got hosta's, ferns, astilbe's.

i'm looking for small, light coloured plants or flowering plants?

any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,133

Alchemilla mollis would be happy there and would go with the other plants you have there.  Light green pleated leaves that hold drops of rain like diamonds and a frothy acid green flower. Pretty from early spring through to the winter.  Some people think it's a thug - it's not but it does self-seed, but if yu cut the flowers before it seeds you've no problem, and anyway the seedlings are so easily recognisable at a small size they're no trouble to pull out.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,689

Erythronium (dog's tooth violet), alchemilla mollis, primulas, aruncus, Tiarella cordifolia.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,689

I've repeated Dove's alchemilla as I got distracted and stopped typing! So Dove got in first.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Alchemilla is lovely - I agree with Dove, it isn't a thug at all.

How about some pulmonaria perhaps (white or blue flowers) or a smaller sarcococca bush which is evergreen and has tiny whitish flowers around now, which ar heavily scented and smell amazing if you are walking past?

My sarcococca and pulmonaria do well in heavy clay soil in full shade.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,156

I have hakonechloa in just such a place bordering the terrace.  It has golden striped foliage that waves in the breeze.   My bed gets sun in high summer but is otherwise shaded by the house all year.    You could also go for members of the primula family - wild primroses, cowslips, candelabras etc.

The plant with big round leaves is astilboides which produces a tall stem of tiny, froty white flowers.   I also have chelone, hostas big and small and ligularia in the mix along with Japanese anemones and astilbes.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • obelixx that is beautiful image

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,818

Hi obelixx, does the  Hackonechloa keeps its colour all year round, and look good in the winter?

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • My hakkoneichloa (I have two varieties, the golden one and the variegated one, can't recall the names), are deciduous, so at the moment they are a pale coppery bronze but the leaves have all died back. They look quite nice though, even in that state. New leaves emerge around April time where I am.

• thanks very much, that gives me some ideas to research.  image