Forum home Talkback

Birdfood = worms = MOLES!

Just look at this lawn!   My daughter has been throwing down food for the ground eating birds, and obviously the worms have discovered it.   And now the moles have discovered the worms!   Their tunnels are close to the surface, and you can follow their tracks all over the place.   I have never seen anything like this before, so concentrated.   Mr. Moldy Warp, please go elsewhere.   Please!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

Oneofseven, your moles have dug up the photoimage

Commiserations though, I had one in my greenhouse in the autumn.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045

It's nothing to do with feedingthe birds.  It's just the time of year when moles start tunelling about to find a mate.   Our "lawn" looks like a bomb site at the mo and it's nowhere near the bird feed.   They're also tunnelling in the veg patch and its paths.

Once they've mated, it will go a bit quiet during the gestation and suckling period and then all hell breaks loose again when the babies set off to make their own territories.

The reason you can see the tracks on the surface is because the soil is sodden so the water table, and the worms, are higher up.  In colder and drier weather the tunnelling is deeper and you only notice the tunnels after heavy rain make sthem sink or you walk on one and twist your ankle as you sink.

Nasty pesky critters.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

The thought of worms coming up to the surface to fight the birds for a share of their food sounds like a self-defeating strategy to me! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Perhaps that's why I don't get moles in the lawn Dove, all the blackbirds round the feeders have eliminated them.

I thought it was because the lawn was so solid and compacted they couldn't tunnel thereimage

Moles are always in the same place here, at a junction of 4 grass paths within the garden and on the grass verge outside. Always have to do some flattening before mowing or there's be no blades left

• My goodness, and you haven't even seen the photo yet!

Obelixx, you are so right about the soil being sodden, and the water table will be high.   Makes sense for the moles to stay above water!   But do you think it is sheer coincidence that all this activity is centred around the bird feeder?

I am still fighting to get the photo up.   Guess it's a case of 'watch this space'!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

Wikipedia says that moles will also eat 'a variety of nuts' - that might be your answer.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Horrors, Dove!   So we are positively encouraging the moles.   Not good.   In his (much) younger days my husband used to keep fishing worms in a large 44 gallon drum filled with soil.   They would feed the worms mealie meal just sprinkled on top of the soil, so we assumed the worms here would work the same way.

Pansyface, how did you get rid of your mole in the greenhouse?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Wikipedia says that moles will also eat 'a variety of nuts' - that might be your answer.

They will be well fed if they come to our house Dove, more than a few nuts here image

They are starting activity here, but they wont last long!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

I think, after it had gone round and round the same space for three or four weeks, it either died of boredom or confusion.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I like it!image