Forum home Talkback

sweetpea idea

I would like to grow sweetpeas tumbling down a bank in our garden rather than the growing upwards....is this possible and how many of you have done this??

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,205

Never done it, but don't see why it wouldn't work Denise.  Mine always get too tall and flop over (essentially growing downwards) for the last bit of their life And they flower just as well.  Not sure how they woyld react to growing against the ground however - is there anyway yoy can make a frame, or construction of twigs, to keep them slightly raised?

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • yes good idea I shall try it and see how it goes, thank you x

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,812

I think you would need some sort of framework to tie them into otherwise they would blow about and get too tangled, not suggesting they should be in straight lines but artisticaly messy is different to just being in a bit of a state.  Get it right and it should look fantastic, dont forge to post some photos.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • yes i will try and make a frame with bean sticks propped up some how, I think they would look fab if I get it right that is!! thanks folks x

• All ideas are worth trying at least once. What have you really lost if it doesn't work.

Just 2 points from me. Think about how you will pick the flowers? MD says take off all the flowers weekly to keep flowering. You may not get nice long stems with this idea, but never mind. Second, slugs and snails will have a feast?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

Could you grow them up the bank?  Plant them down low, then train them up the slope?  If you planted them all around the slope, they would cling to eachother and help hold in place.  Be sure to leave some pathways through though, so you can pick the dying flowers off.  Once they set seed, that's pretty much it for that plant.  

Utah, USA.
  • The only reasons for growing SPs are fragrance and flowers. You pick them frequently and take them indoors. When you wake up in the morning you are flooded with fragrence in your home. Your ideas should be about maximising these  2 things. Otherwise will the  bank idea really be worth the effort? What else might be better?

• Hi Denise, I was told, many years ago, that clematis, left to their own devices in their natural habitat, trail along the ground.  If other forum members think this is feasible, it would eliminate the need for continual deadheading necessary with sweet peas.. 

Today, I'm having some old hedging removed from a bank at the front of my house.  Have decided to leave the roots in the ground to keep the soil in place and after seeing your thread I may well try growing both sweet peas and clematis on the bank to see if they look any good.

• I grow my SPs in large pots. If I don't keep them very moist they go brown quickly and the flowers are small and few, and if I don't continually pick the flowers they make seeds and then pack up flowering for the duration. Letting them do their own thing is probably a guarantee of a poorly show. 

Have you looked at the perennial SP, which could well clothe your bank successfully.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,220
    Billie Bilton wrote (see)

Hi Denise, I was told, many years ago, that clematis, left to their own devices in their natural habitat, trail along the ground.  ...

Well, if there's nothing to climb up they do, but as soon as they reach a hedge, shrub or tree they climb straight up it - they're naturally plants of the hedgerow and woodland.

Leaving plants to their own devices is a strange concept - you don't find clematis growing in the wild in the middle of grassland where there's no shrubs/trees to climb up.- they grow in places that are suitable for them - different plants have different needs and if we're going to grow them in what is a human construct, i.e. a garden, then we have to supply them with what they would have when growing in the wild. 

However, there are a few herbacious clematis which do not climb and which do 'tumble'  http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-herbaceous-clematis/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh