Peas

hi, a few questions about peas!

1) is it too early to sow them, the packet suggests jan onwards

2) should they go directly into my raised bed or should I sow them in my unheated greenhouse first? I

3) I've seen the suggestion of planting in toilet roll tubes, anyone tried this & does it work well?

thanks all

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,775

Hello , have in the past used toilet roles but last year used guttering inthe G/H then planted out worked really well

I will still use T/R's for beans , leeks etc they work really well for me image

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

I didn't get on well with toilet roll holders when I tried them.  They went soggy and mouldy and fell apart when it was time to lift them to plant out.  I've used pots before but have got trainers this year ready to use.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

I often use toilet roll tubes for peas. Doesn't matter if they're disintegrating at planting out time. They decompose anyway. Pea seedlings are astonishingly sturdy, even more so than young pea plants. I've had them in the ground at close to 0C and they've coped.

• Sow them direct when you can, it might be more viable keeping small mammals out of a raised bed than a ground level bed. Mice are the main reason for sowing fabaceae indoors and tubes are to prevent root disturbance, which aren't well tolerated by the family .Root trainers won't minimise root disturbance but it will be interesting to see how your plants get on after transplant. I roll 100mm high tubes from sheet cardboard, far better than saving lavatory tissue rolls.

• I always start peas indoor in trays then plant out en masse. This started when I had a polytunnel and mice were eating the seeds. Neat rows of holes..It also means I can start them earlier. And yes very sturdy creatures are pea plants..

• ShuvShuv Posts: 18

I always use toilet roll tubes for my peas and beans and they work fine, as said before, doesn't matter if they are disintegrating, you can still plant them. image

• thanks all, I've started some in loo rolls so we shall see!! fingers crossed!!

• bazabaza Posts: 606

Hello Kelsbels

I've put mine directly in the ground in half drain pipes .It says on the packet feb onwards so thats what i've done.They are supposed to be hardy  but i'll see .If nothing happens i'll plant some more in march.

Hope this helps

Baz

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,815

I sow peas straight into the ground from March to April. I haven't had a mouse problem, one advantage of having a cat. My mother used to dip her pea seeds in paraffin which stopped mice eating them. I sow far too many to be bothered with fiddling about with loo rolls. I use loo rolls for sweet peas.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,815

Baz, you aren't planning on leaving them in the drainpipes are you? If you've sown directly into the ground outside then why the drainpipes? Drainpipes are usually used when sowing in a greenhouse and then transplanted outside, when the little plants are growing, by sliding them out into a little trench in the ground. This is to minimise root disturbance.

Dordogne and Norfolk