Forum home Plants

plant / weed id please

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Is anyone able to id these plants esp the frilly one.  Weeding needs to commence, if its not ground elder or alkanet I don't have a clue. image

Thank you.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Peanuts - the large leaf could be either verbascum or lambs ears.  The thin grass like spikes could be a sedge.  Not sure what the middle one is.

Someone will be along soon with the correct answers. 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I think the centre one could be feverfew.  Forester I thought stachys too at first but now I'm not sure.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Feverfew and Verbascum 100%

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Doesn't look like the Feverfew that grows in my garden.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374

I have some doubt Mark. Easy to check though, nothing smells like feverfew

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,604

"frilly" one could be cow parsley???? IMHO it's not feverfew

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,401

I don't think that's feverfew - I think the the leaflets of feverfew are broader and shorter. 

But I'm not convinced its cow parsley either - it just isn't quite right - but cow parsley has lots of similar relatives. 

Have a look at the leaf stems - if they have a groove or channel running along the upper surface then it's likely to be cow parsley Anthriscus sylvestris. 

I'd be more convinced if I could crush the leaves and smell it.  I spent my childhood picking armsfull of cow parsley for our pet rabbits.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374

I don't think it's cow parsley either. I have a lot of thatimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,279

It could be Selinum, which is a close Cow Parsley relative with similar umbelliferous flowers.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • Leave the grey one. Dig out and move the frilly one. They are probably self seeded. They might be garden border perennials or they might have been part of a wild flower border. Neither look like obviously 'weedy' weeds. Wait and see!