Bare root canes.

I brought some bare root canes inside while waiting for this cold snap to finish. Unfortunately they have started sprouting - probably as they are too warm. Is there any way to rescue the situation? Harden them up first - or plant straight away?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

Are we talking raspberries here?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Rasberries, gooseberries and a kiwi.

• Raspberry*

Were the plants new and just recently bought? I can't think why they would have needed to be inside otherwise. I know nothing anout kiwis so this is just for rasps and goosegogs.

If they are new, I suppose that there isn't a lot of "plant" there. This new growth will be very tender. Do you have a greenhouse? If so, plant them up in pots of cheap multipurpose compost (they won't be staying in it for long) and put them in a frost-free greenhouse (with a little heat at night time if a hard frost is forecast. I don't know where you live, but round here the last chance of frost is said to be on 1st June. So keep them frost free until then, growing in their pots, and plant them out when you are sure that they will not be nipped by the cold. Once they get established over the summer you will be able to leave them to their own devices.

If the plants are not new but got taken inside for some obscure reason, you may have more material to work with. Cut them down to a few inches from what would be ground level, pot them up as before and put into the greenhouse. When the frosts are over, plant them out.

If you don't have a greenhouse, find someone who has and buy them a bottle of wine.image

• I've got a gazebo so that'll do!

So long as they have enough light and don't become etiolated.