Forum home Talkback

lawns

victorvictor Posts: 2

A couple of years ago I had a new lawn laid. The people doing the work levelled it with some new top soil they bought in.

Before hand I had never had any casts problems but in the last couple of years they have grown out of proportion. I have more casts than grass. The grass is dying off and I am being left with just bare soil. People I have spoken to have suggested that the soil that was used was not sterilised. Are there any long term solutions?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Worm casts are high in nutrients and very good for the grass, so it really should be growing rampantly.  Worms don't eat living plant tissue, so I suspect the real problem is that your lawn is being eaten from below by one of the common lawn pests, with leatherjackets (cranefly larvae) being the most likely.  Try treating it with nemasys leatherjacket killer if you prefer safe organic control, or a general lawn pest control product if you don't mind using pesticides.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,356

use a stiff broom to sweep them too. Might it be a bit waterlogged?that might encourage the worms to come to the surface

Devon.
  • victorvictor Posts: 2

I have got more worm cast than grass so trying to sweep them away is impossible .

I don't think it is leatherjackets, It is the worm casts which are making "the lawn" a mud lawn and the grass is not growing as it seems to be being smothered by mud. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

Can you put up some pictures?

Utah, USA.
  • richhondacrichhondac Posts: 222
    Sounds like you have a range of problems
  • ToadyToady Posts: 56

I had the same issue with a new lawn i seeded over fresh "enriched" top soil, the reason being that there was still undigested organic matter in the soil which the worms were loving. i did knock the casts down before mowing and once the mowing season really got underway it became less of a problem and was fine in the second year at spring time. You could put a feed on it with added iron which will raise the PH and deter the worms from coming up into the rootzone.