Any ideas of what to do with this garden?

I've just moved in about a month ago and I have a lot of work to do in a few months time. I'll be digging what's left of the grass and level the garden, fill it with top soil and seed a new lawn and add new fencing. At the moment, it's a bit of a mess.

Any ideas of what I can do this summer? I have some patio a bit further back.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741

Looks like you have a bit of a drainage problem there Michael. Is it always wet? If so, this would be a good time to sort it.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Yes, there is always water lying there. The surface is soil and compacted.

How do I go about sorting the drainage for it?

• Pansy has a good point - maybe you need to turn it over/rotavate it and aerate it as well. Do you know what type of soil you have? If it's heavy clay, it would benefit from being broken up and having some lighter soil added to it as well. As far as sorting out drainage go, also look at the lie of your land and whether it slopes toward your right hand fence. You may need to level it out as well as looking at soil composition.

Great to do that now and then you can enjoy landscaping and planting once the weather improves.

Blank slates are very exciting! 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,329

If you follow Jess's very good advice first but then still find you have a drainage problem, the easiest solution may be to turn that particular area into a bog garden and put in plants that like soggy conditions. What kind of plants depends on what style of garden you are aiming for, i.e. jungly, children or dog friendly, low maintenance or cottage garden style.

You also need to find out if it gets sunshine or shadow or if it's exposed to wind, so I'd spend some time just looking at it, taking photos maybe and formulating some ideas.

• Lizzie's right - never wade in and start planting left, right and centre (as I did, with my first garden image), as then you end up making many mistakes regarding suitability of plants, exposure etc. I wish I'd just waited and watched and made a few notes about how the sun comes 'round etc, before I'd gotten stuck in. It wasn't a disaster in the end, but it would have ave dmd loads of moving plants about and cursing, under my breath.

• I have no issue with sunshine in the garden. It's shining down on it now image

• Michael which way is it facing? What do you want out of the garden? Is it for entertaining, low maintenance, child friendly, pet friendly? Big or small budget?

• It's facing North, in the direction that the sun rises.

I would like a garden that is practical, ie; a BBQ. I was thinking about halving the lawn and having 50/50 grass and patio, maybe decking is an option, I haven't the foggiest yet.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I've seen a few circular lawns recently and they look lovely. Beds around the edge. Looks like you have a nice view there. I'd design a garden that took advantage of it. Like an arch at the back as if you can enter across the field, with a lovely climbing rose around it.

•  

I have no idea what position it is but it is currently 12pm. If I face the garden from the house, the sun is shining from the east, if that's any help?

Thanks Tootles. I've been umming and ahhing about adding a gate in at the back fence which would take me into that field/dog park but having said that, the entrance is only at the top of my road, but that could be an option. My partner would love to add beds too.