Tete-a-Tete Dwarf Daffodil

I nipped into a generic "garden centre" on my way home yesterday while idly playing the "what the devil do you buy someone who already has lived so long they've got three of everything" game.

Well while there somehow, and I honestly have no idea how: I think I sneezed or something, a pack of heavily reduced tete-a-tete dwarf daffodils fell in my shopping basket.

They would look fantastic in a little pot on the coffee table (amongst the tissues, machine mart catalogue and my old car radio that he hasn't gotten around to moving yet) but .... could I actually do that? These bulbs are already in flower this season so would I be able to pot them up, feed and generally care for them and wait for them to die down naturally before preparing them for next year. Or would I need to start with "fresh" bulbs?

Any who.... here's a much needed hint of spring to warm us up!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741

Not sure if you want to give them as a present and then take them back or if you want to keep them in the house and plant them out in the garden afterwards in order to enjoy them in years to come.image

If the latter, that is how my lawn has ended up covered in Tête à Tête bulbs, Every winter I buy a few pots for the house and every spring they go into the lawn. They go from strength to strength out there.

Lovely to see them in the photo. I can smell them nowimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

They really are beautiful Pansy, especially as the garden is very blank (although at the moment it has 3 inches of snow on it). 

The plan is to keep them here: I don't have anyone suitable to give them as gifts! His family are very well established in gardening and so gifts had better be spot on and my family... would rather eat chocolate.

Do you ever use the same bulb in a house display twice in a row? Or do they go straight into the garden? 

I have them in the kitchen at the moment. I must pot them up in the morning they're not in the best of plastic pots: would have done it today but the compost bag had frozen.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741

I've always just bought them from the street market - 3 pots for a fiver or something like that - and put them into the lawn when they have gone over. I use the word lawn in its loosest sense. It's more like a meadow. I'm too lazy to ever do the thing in reverse but I'm sure if I could find them in the tussocky grass they would be fine in the house again. They are only just beginning to poke through the grass by half an inch or so. If I tried to dig them up I'd worry that they would snap on their way out.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I'm thinking of putting these in a large enough pot that once they've had time to die down I can retrieve the bulbs and put them in storage (considering how often I loose my phone I'd never cope with trying to find bulbs!) Or even plant them straight into a bowl for indoors and leave it outside until the time comes to start forcing the bulb.

Its not something I've ever done before!

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,519

Hi Clari, you can def keep again for next year but I would leave in the pot outside in the garden not keep in the house for next year as would be too warm.  Once the foliage has died back, take it off and just stick the pot at the back of the garden out of sight and they will come back again next year image I would  take out of the plastic pot and put in a terracotta one and maybe put moss on the top of soil as looks lovely and mabe a raffia bow or ribbon around the pot, will look lovely indoors and smell beautiful too image

Thanks Beaus! image