Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond In A Pot

LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Just wondering if anyone has tried this idea?

I am trying to make the most out of my garden, by making it as nature friendly as possible as well as productive.

The only thing i feel im missing out of my tiny garden is a water feature of somekind, but with lack of space i can't have a pond (I also have a young collie who would never be out of it even if there was space) and I can't afford the price ofany of the nice water features (some are just too big)

So i saw this article saying a pond in a pot, which i like the idea of, but i don't know really what is the best size of pot (i'm guessing the bigger the better) and what to put in the pot, as you have to get the balance right.

If you do what size of pot have you got, and what do you have in it? does anything visit your pot (insects etc?)

I'm guessing you have to buy "minature" varieties of the plants such as e.g. water lily as there is a lack of space for bigger ones.

Thanks again for any advice.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899

I don't know about pond in a pot but my water feature is a half barrel that I bought from the garden centre, I actualy have a pump (I love the sound of running water), but lots of people have them as still water and put water lillies in them.  If you put some rocks in there to form a ramp it will ensure that any wildlife can get in and out.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,258
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Yes 1Runnybeak1 thats my baby girl, Tess, that day she got Best In Show at Munlochy Animal Aid Fete, also got a first for Pure Bred, and First for our trick class and a couple of seconds. We only went there to show support, not thinking we'd win anything image

Thanks Pansyface for the link, It looks really good will have a proper read of it when i get home.

Yviestevie I was looking at an article that said using wooded barrels wasn't a good idea (can't remember why think it might just have been if your keeping fish some kind of chemical) do you have a plastic liner or anything like that to stop any water weeping out? I too love the sound of running water so soothing on a nice day

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I went to a local flea market and bought an old wash tub. It has a miniature water lily in it and still looking for other plants - note to self to check out I-player for the Great British garden revival where one of presenters did something similar but wasn't really well enough to take it in.

Mine is an old tub because of a silly collie(now gone sigh) and not wanting him in a pond - he still drank it though

No fish Lucy and no liner.  When I first filled it up it leaked a little but the water expanded the wood and now it doesnt leak at all.

Sorry about the space above, must have leant on the keyboard

• Yviestevie we will be able to put a large pond in that space for LucyL.lol

LucyL just be careful you don't breed mosquitoes.Go full out on your plant choice.grow a Lotus.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,258

Wow those are beautiful   - I wish I could grow themimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

wuw that lotus is BEAUTIFUL!! Would they grow up here in Inverness, Scotland....

Yea i will be putting alot of research into the size pot VS what to put in it, and i aim to (Hopefully) encourage things such as dragonflies etc which eat mosquitoes larve etc. I would like some plants that arn't going to grow out of control in the pot but look pretty/interesting

Matty2 I recorded the british Garden revival and had totally forgotten they had a bit on that! thanks for the reminder (I was making dinner at the time so was ment to go back and watch that bit again lol but forgot) image will be doing that tonight!

Yviestevie that makes sense - forgot about wood swelling in water - duh!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933

I saw someone on Pinterest the other day had their pond in a buried plastic crate, the wide shallow kind that fit under the bed.  They dug out the soil and set the crate inside on top of a bit of sand, filled it up with plants, rocks, and water, and it looked quite professional.  I would worry about mosquitoes, but surely a little solar pump would be enough to help the water circulate and attract frogs and other predators.  

Utah, USA.