Forum home Talkback

Is this idea safe?

DinahDinah Posts: 278

I have a big indoor plastic dome on a frame, about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide and the same hight at it's apex. It's floor is comprised of a wire frame, about two inches from the table it stands on. It is unheated. I am thinking of putting my three electric propagators inside it, opening the vents, and using the rest of the space to put other seed trays. Am I risking electrocution or fire, or are these apparently, well sealed connections on the outside of my propagators as good as they look? Anybody know about propagator safety??

• Hi image

The main thing i would worry about would be condensation, those plastic thingys are terrible for it, even with the vents open. Its probably fine, but i wouldnt risk it! Sorry. Hopefully someone else can give you more specific advice image
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,549

I can't see a problem, it is only like a propagator in a greenhouse.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

install a residual circuit device. then if there's a problem, it'll cut out

Devon.
  • DinahDinah Posts: 278

Sounds good advise. If I put a residual circuit device in, yes, thank goodness I have a spare one, and put something absorbent under the floor of the thing to soak up any drips, I open all the vents, don't over water, and how about I put my extra seedling trays in plastic bags to minimise the condensation...? And do it in the morning so I can keep an eye on it all day... At least I might get a bit of extra heat in there while I'm snowed in. image Thanks folks, I'll report in soon if all goes well!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,707

The main problem I see, is lack of light ,and the seedlings becoming etiolated, weak and lanky.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • What are you growing Dinah, sounds like you are itching to go! Sorry to be a bore, but some things grow better if you wait and bring them on a little harder image

Yes the lack of light and the to early start are issues, but I don't think I can do much about them. My hellebore seedlings sprouted early while stratifying, I have some of the Acer (palmate and dissectum) have started up after a two year wait and I don't want to loose them, there also seems to be a wee Magnolia Soulangiana, which I'd given up on but left in the pot for luck. There are perennial snapdragon seedlings that started up in the parent's pot, they are of my own cross, so I want those to do well, but they have come up to early. My little Paulonnia first year saplings have also come into bud to early because they were fooled by the mild weather, and I'm thinking they could do with extra warmth. I had plans to start early Easter lilies, but just don't have the space. There are lot's more - it's ridiculous, everything has started up for the spring out in the garden, and now the snow and freeze is here. I'm really stuck for places outside and in. I want to use the propagators for sowing seed, and they are full, so the big dome would be very useful right now! We've a very uppity climate here because we are coastal, and close to the gulf stream, but we are also on a north facing slope, with full exposure from sudden attacks of Arctic weather, and that means high winds and driving the snow - still, at least it's not the Vikings!imageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,707

Hellebore seedlings don't need heat. Most of those will be ok in a cold frame outside.

If no cold frame, up against a sheltering wall.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Great! That's two feet square more space - they can go back into the stratifying spot on the porch doorstep, thanks fidgetbones!