Forum home Talkback

Lobelia/Pratia pedunculata or Blue Star Creeper

Hello All,

I bought my first small pot of this last year - it is lush! Tiny, china blue starry flowers, atop evergreen, spreading greenery (small leaved). Related to lobelias we all know, but looks nothing like them.

Amazing plant - never gets sick, thrives in heavy soil, in total shade. Whjat more could you ask for really?!

Except that i can't seem to get hold of any more.

I know I should probably just tear a piece off and do my own cuttings, but I never seem to have much success with these...

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,579

You must persevere with the cuttings, its so pretty and what a lovely big clump.

I had the Lobelia Richardii which doesn't grow from seed, I layered it, I don't know if yours would take the same, just pull out strands and peg it to the ground. May not work but worth a try.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I think I'll have to Lyn, as I can't find anyone who sells it any more - thanks! Do you stick the strands into small pots with compost, or just straight back into the ground?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

Mine is in a hot dry terrace mixed in with gravel and shingle. It doesn't look half as happy as yours, I must say. I think I'll move it to the shade and give it some moistureimage

I found mine in a local garden centre in their alpine section. Hence the hot dry shingle. It does spread there so perhaps if you weighted a bit down with a little stone it might strike?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I think I'll try than pansy face, thanks. When would be a good time, do you think- spring? I bought mine in the alpine section of a garden centre as well, put only because it said it loved shade on the label and I have plenty of that! It really has thrived on no loving care whatsoever. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

Yes I'd wait until it looks as if it's starting to grow. We have snow falling here and my plants would only be disheartened by being held down under a stone as well.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks pansy image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454

Spent years trying to get this weed out of a lawn. It had spread from the rock garden and much preferred the grass to the rocks. All right the grass looked quite pretty with blue star flowers in it, but it did take over the lawn in the end.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

This is what is good about this forum - recommendations of plants for shady clay places and evergreen too.  Thanks Jess - will look out for this in the growing season.image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Oops - Just looked up its details and it looks like it could be a nuisanceimage

• Never ti me! It's so pretty in the shady bit of my garden where it does it's thing and covers bare patches between plants, if it spreads too much, I just pull it up. Hardly a thug like mind your own business image