Forum home Talkback

Flowers or plants with the name Sharon

Hi folks are there any plants or flowers with the name Sharon. I know there is the Rose of Sharon but is there anything else. I wanted to buy my wife something with her namesake on it. Like i said i know about the rose but she is not very keen on roses.

• I don't think it is a rose... I call my hibiscus 'rose of sharon'. Someone with more knowledge will be along in a minute.

• ShanijoShanijo Posts: 13
    Thanks outdoor girl. Im new to gardening and i presumed with a name like that it was a rose. Lol . You are correct it is an Hibiscus so i think i will get some of those. Thankyou for your advise.
  • They're beautiful plants. Get lovely and big in not much time. Especially love the yellow version. Outdoor girl is right - it is the hibiscus family, not a rose.

• Alternatively you could splash out on a Sharon Fruit Tree which can be grown in a container.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I will never forget including Hypericum Calycinum ( rose of sharon ) in a planting scheme proposal at garden design college. Our tutor drew a big red ring around it and wrote " nasty little plant" he was right, and I've never used it again.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641

Yes, there are several different plants known as Rose of Sharon - I hope Shanijo gets the hibiscus and not the hypericum. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

the shortcomings of Common names? I hope you had a good day yesterday Dove.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641

It was a really lovely day thanks Hostafan image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I have a large Rose of Sharon which i grew from what was basically a twig.

Its about 6 feet tall now but has never flowered image

I did move it into the garden from its container into a lovely sunny spot so fingers crossed this year it will flower for me.