Forum home Talkback

Dying Yesterday Today and Tomorrow Tree

Hi All,

we had a new gardener come in to clean up our yard, and while I was out he decided it to be a good idea to remove ALL of the leaves from my yesterday, today and tomorrow plant. This is a good and mature plant, about two meters high - and I was absolutely devastated. I thought that perhaps it would regrow - but it has now been two months and no sign of any leaves or buds.

Is there anything I can do? How does one revive a dying tree? I've cut away some of the dead branches, and there is still some life there (green stems) - anybody know how to work a miracle?

Thanks!

Anja

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

Hello Anja, you must live somewhere fairly hot as I know that my brother has this plant and he lives in tropical Queensland. Most people here are in the middle of winter - there are a few flakes of snow falling as I write - so no special knowledge of your plant. However, a dead plant is a dead plant the world over. If you can see green branches they may just not be fully dead yet. What you need to see are green sprouts and leaves.

Otherwise, take the loppers to your new gardener's tender parts in order to express clearly how you are feeling.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641

What part of the world are you in Antja?  If you're in the southern hemisphere and coming up to autumn I'd wait until spring before giving up hope

Fingers crossed.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,579

So right Verdun! I have seen this many times, they start off doing a grass cutting round, them think they are gardeners.

My NDN where I used to live had some lovely shrubs and wondered why they never flowered, of course, the gardener always did his annual chop down in the Spring regardless of what the shrubs were!

Beware of gardeners without certificates. Although, having said that, I dont have any certificates,  absolutely no letters affer my name either!

As said before,  hopefully some shoots will appear in your Spring, and definitely show that gardener you are not best pleased, ask for his recommendations.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I'd definitely say wait til your spring before writing out the death certificate - there is just a chance it will get over its shock and come back again after a rest over winter.

Poor thing!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,924

why, oh why would he remove all the leaves?? image

sounds like the gardener is a total cowboy and might need reporting to your local authority, he's probably done it before to someone else, or will do similar things to someone else's garden.

if he's killed your plant by doing something so incredibly stupid you might be able to claim some sort of compensation!

here's hoping the plant is just getting its strength together before it sends out a new flush of leaves once its got over the shock!

• I have no words....image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,002

Sometimes the leaves of this plant do drop off in winter. Are you sure he removed them? Also they aren't reliably hardy. Are you in the UK? It should be brought in when the weather is cold and frosty. Being frosted could make the leaves drop off. 

This plant is very toxic and can be dangerous for dogs and children if they eat any of it, especially the berries. 

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641

If he was sweeping up fallen leaves in the autumn maybe he thought it a good idea to remove any that hadn't yet fallen in order to save him coming back again and sweeping the rest up, given that they're toxic - not saying that I agree with him - just trying to put myself in his place and find a reason for his action. image

And of course, as most of us know, there's a big difference between 'a groundsman' and 'a gardener'.  I've discovered that it's usually the groundsmen who don't know the difference image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh