Forum home Fruit & veg

Climbing Strawberries

Hi all im looking for some climbing stawberry plants and all i can find is mount everest. does anyone know if there are any other varieties?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,326

I'm bemused by Thompson & Morgan's description of Mount Everest as 'climbing'.  Yes you can train the runners up a framework and tie them in, but so you could with virtually any strawberry plant - they don't 'climb' as a clematis or sweet pea does.

I imagine that the tasty Mara des Bois would suit this method as it sends out lots of runners which could be tied up a framework.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,643
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sme/saveonprice/ hi I was also searching for info on strawberries and found this ,if the address isnt correct its on Ebay for climbing strawberries, the pics look a bit iffy though ,just a thought
    Alan

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,504
    I agree with Dove - there's no such thing as a climbing strawberry. It's just a marketing gimmick.

Yes, the runners of any type of strawberry could be tied in to a frame, but would the runners produce fruit if their roots are hanging in the air or just slowly die?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Agree with @Pete.8 - the runners are there to eventually produce new plants - hanging about in mid air is not their idea of fun ;)

Climbing strawberries are just another version of Hanging Strawberries ( often promoted for baskets ) - either way, the result is the same........the main plant is the one which will produce the fruit and the runners will eventually die off.