Forum home Talkback

dividing hostas

I have a hosta in a pot that is breaking slowly from the top due to frost damage. The hosts is well established and I was thinking of dividing as the pot will expire soon ? Will it survive if I divide and repot now instead if spring ? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

In my experience hostas are tough old things. Would it be better to buy a frostproof pot in a bigger size ro give its roots more space rather than dividing it? Depends on how big it is I supposeimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BlubellBlubell Posts: 72

Thks - Good idea but pot already large and I have two to do. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482

wait until you can see the new buds ( like purplish bullets) pushing up: then you can  see where to make the cuts.

Depending upon the size of the plant, you can use an old bread knife and cut it like a wedding cake, ( from the middle out ).

Different varieties start at different times. Some of mine in a cold tunnel ( waiting to be split ) are budding now, but plenty are still totally dormant.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,084

I do mine in early spring when the buds show.  Otherwise I find they sulk.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482

I agree Verdun, even in mid summer I've split some, not ideal , but very " dooable"

Devon.
  • BlubellBlubell Posts: 72

Thank you for your advice. Itching to get on with something but I think I'll wait till spring. Especially now it's snowing ! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,566

Verdun, you're in tropical Cornwall - it probably makes a bit of a difference image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ive done it....well one pot anyway. I'm going to leave the other one till wArmer climes to see if it makes a difference. Also need to save up for new pot as no room in garden.