I have a hosta in a pot that is breaking slowly from the top due to frost damage. The hosts is well established and I was thinking of dividing as the pot will expire soon ? Will it survive if I divide and repot now instead if spring ?
Thks - Good idea but pot already large and I have two to do.
wait until you can see the new buds ( like purplish bullets) pushing up: then you can see where to make the cuts.
Depending upon the size of the plant, you can use an old bread knife and cut it like a wedding cake, ( from the middle out ).
Different varieties start at different times. Some of mine in a cold tunnel ( waiting to be split ) are budding now, but plenty are still totally dormant.
I do mine in early spring when the buds show. Otherwise I find they sulk.
I agree Verdun, even in mid summer I've split some, not ideal , but very " dooable"
Thank you for your advice. Itching to get on with something but I think I'll wait till spring. Especially now it's snowing !
Verdun, you're in tropical Cornwall - it probably makes a bit of a difference
Ive done it....well one pot anyway. I'm going to leave the other one till wArmer climes to see if it makes a difference. Also need to save up for new pot as no room in garden.