Forum home Tools and techniques

Heated Propagators

Hello, apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but it's my first post!! Anyway I'm about to purchase a electric propagator and am not sure whether to buy one that has a pre-set temperature or one with a variable temperature control. I'll be using it for various plants including growing Venus Fly Traps from seed (7 year old son's request), so any advice would be very welcome.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,602

welcome Mark.

I'd go with the thermostatic version. I've just built a raised heated propagator bench in my polytunnel and I added the thermostat to the heated cable.

If you've the space , you might consider a heated bench. I had the timber and I got 12m of warming cable and the thermostat for £50 . I'd be happy to let you know the suppliers if you'd like.

Devon.
  • Thanks for the replies Hostafan1 and Edd, unfortunately I haven't got the room at the moment for a heated bench, but may do in the future as we have all sorts of long term plans flying around. 

I think I'll go for the variable control one as it will hopefully be more versatile in the future and as you say will provide many options going forward.