Forum home Talkback

Hedge for clay

FlyerFlyer Posts: 11

Hi, My Wife and I are thinking of planting a hedge around our garden.  It is south facing and quite shelteered, although we do suffer from high winds that are funneled up between 2 rows of houses. Our soils is heavey clay and does not drain well.  

I was wondering if anybody out there could sugggest the type of plants that would be suitable, We would prefer evergreen, but this is not essential.

Flyer

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283

It's worth taking a look around at what grows well locally. I went for hawthorn on our heavy clay, it thrives in the local hedgerows and I love the May flowers. Hawthorn can withstand occasional flooding so that is one for the list. You can go for a mixed hedge for wildlife, adding evergreens such as yew and holly or grow ivy through it. image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

clay here in Devon too. Lots of hawthorn, blackthorn , beech hedges around.

Devon.
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Ditto with above - Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Beech and Holly in my clay soi. Seabuckthorn does well in clay soil and has edible berries. I added some red dogwood into my hedge to add winter colour and trained it through the hedge.

• BlubellBlubell Posts: 72

I have clay . Escallonia does well as a hedge produces flowers for bees but no berries . Very pretty and low maintenance 

• BlubellBlubell Posts: 72

I have clay . Escallonia does well as a hedge produces flowers for bees but no berries . Very pretty and low maintenance and evergreen 

• Hornbeam is a good alternative to beech as it copes better with waterlogging on clay soil. Its not evergreen but will hold the brown leaves like beech does so provides some shelter/screening in the winter.