Forum home Talkback

Summer or autumn fruiting raspberries

Can anybody help? I have nearly 30 plants in a small area and I wanted to know if they were summer or autumn fruiting? I want to separate them but cant work out which they are. Any advice would be great

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,710

If you leave them this year, and label each one next year with the month that it fruits, then you can divide  and move the following spring.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,637

At a slightly educated guess I'd say they're autumn fruiting - cut them down to ground level now, dig them up, sort them out and replant image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the help guy's

I tried to read the instructions on how to tell them apart online, but couldn't figure it out.

(Fidgetbones) would you suggest cutting them down now and then waiting to see when they fruit?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,710

If you cut them down now, the summer ones will not fruit this year, as this years fruit will be on last years wood.

The autumn fruiters will as they fruit on new year wood.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Ah I see, read something earlier which suggested -

1. In winter remove to the ground all dead canes

2. Remove ll canes that have fruited

This should leave you with unfruited summer canes

The other lot with almost no canes left standing will be the autumn variety

decisions decisions