Forum home Wildlife gardening

Nesting boxes

I have just patched up my derelict bird boxes with double layersd of strong black plastic, (old compost bags) as new roofing.

Risked life and limb to hang them on a high fence out of Poppy cat's reach, I stood back to admire my handiwork and some tits flew in immediately to check them out. I was not expecting the birds to go anywhere near them,probably until next year. No guarantee that the boxes will be used of course.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,175

Wow, what a reward for your effort! And on the Garden Birdwatch weekend too!image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,246

NOW is certainly the time to ensure all nest boxes are in place.Ive had some success with nest boxes in my garden.

Installed a tit box which was occupied the following spring. Here it is on my garage wall above the bbq...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps651152cf.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/_DSC0199_zpsnrckswkn.jpg

Installed another tit book in the apex of my garden shed which was also occupied the following spring..

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/IMG_6802_zpsrnhz6n0a.jpg

Just behind the garage and far too close to the first tit box I have a blackbird nest box, I put it there as a temporary fix but blackbirds built a nest the following spring, but sadly didn't lay eggs..

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/IMG_6805_zpsqxdfkysf.jpg

And then I discovered at the beginning of last winter a beautiful goldfinch nest in my laurel hedge..

So get your nest boxes up everyone, birds will be looking for suitable sites about now, but may not use them until the following year. 

• My boxes are being rigourously inspected, inside, outside, sideways, underneath and backwards so hopefully I may have a resident or two eventually.

I had a mental pic. of the birds landing on the plastic roofing and skidding off on their BTMs.but they seem to be fine.

I am thinking of leaving an old stiff broom propped up in the shed to see if a robin finds it, we had on nest on top of our broom in the garage, just inside the door, many years ago.

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

I put up my first bird box at the start of 2014, it has a cam in it which is hooked up to my TV, it as infrared so can view it at night and not disturb anyone in the box, Well at the moment i have a blue tit roosting in it, it has been in the box since November so i am really hoping that s/he decides to use it as there nest site. my blue tit leaves every morning just before first light about 7-8am and returns when it gets dark (atm thats about 5pm) It has sound as well so in the morning you can see him/her getting preened then theres another blue tit that calls and away he/she goes. its very cute!

I plan to put up some other boxes in my local woods and up north in my grans woods and get one hooked up onto her tv as she loves her birds and i think having a nest box that she can view at anytime she would really enjoy.

Leadfarmer, it sounds like you have the ideal garden with many species nesting in it, my gardens very small so unlike to get anything nesting in it, but i am planning on growing raspberries and blackberry bushes on the back fence and allowing the other side to grow a bit wild to allow birds to nest in it as well as having plenty to snack on image

Joyce that must have been fab having a robin's nest on the end of you're broom, what a place, they are such resourceful little birds! I also hope that you're box will be used this year, and that they have a sucessful brood, thats what i'm looking forward too! image

• I find my boxes are such time wasters! I can sit in my conservatory with a cuppa and watch the comings and goings of the birds. I have sat for hours watching them instead of doing chores etc. I have been very lucky in the past as I put up 4 boxes and have had 3 occupied each year so plenty to watch.

At Heligan they put a camera in their owls nesting boxes each year, what entertainment. The babies are so ugly and yet so endearing.

I am waiting for the tree surgeon to come and trim my hawthorn hedge, he is very mindful of bird nesting time and always come before he disturbs them.

Ive got a camera ready to install in one of my boxes but does anyone know if I need to adapt the box to allow more light in to get a decent picture? I've seen kits available where you drill a 10p size hole and cover with plastic to allow more light in. If this is necessary then I can do that myself without buying the kit.
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134

Joyce that is amazing bird not gone near my nest box yet need to clean them spider done in though

got a new one to put up nearer the house, made by my local nature reserve 

Hampshire Gardener
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134

LeadFarmer great pictures

Hampshire Gardener
  • LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

With my bird box, it allows a good bit of light in, as you will see parts of each side are covered with plastic, which i find lets enough light in so my cam is in colour during the day (tho i havn't seen my blue tit in the box when it is light enough to view it in colour lol) I am on the RSPB Community and someone there showed me what they did to their box which was a good idea, of drilling a few holes on the side and then covering them with a plastic bit that rotated so he could slowly add more and more light to get better quality pictures, which didn't upset the birds who were roosting/nesting.

Thanks LucyL, I'll do something similar to my box.