Forum home Talkback

new to gardening

Hi folks. My name is nigel and im 44 years old and my wife and i have just found our love for gardening.  We would would love to fill our boarders with colour all year round but we are not sure where to start. We are novices at the moment so any help would be verymuch appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

Welcome Nigel/Shanijo image

We love to help - can you post some pictures of your garden so that we can get some idea of your options - to post a pic on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions.

It will also help if we know whereabouts you are and what sort of garden would suit your lifestyle - do you want to entertain outside and do you have children who must have room to play?  What about pets, chickens, wildlife etc - or do you just want something that looks nice when you look out of the window image   Have you visited any gardens and seen something you like?  Or maybe you've seen something on a gardening programme or in a magazine? Tell us more about you and we'll be full of ideas image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi shanjo image

Welcome, a good way to start is to buy some bulbs (lillies etc) and tubers like daliahs, they come in tons of colours and are very reliable, with a little attention to the varieties you have, they can give you colour until the first frosts, then, if you have gaps, a trip to the garden centre every few weeks will fix that, just buy what takes your fancy. Be sure to keep a note of the progress of your garden, this will allow you to change things each year, so your garden gets better and better image
  • ShanijoShanijo Posts: 13

Hi folks thanks for the reply here is a picture of my garden. Its not very big roughly 5m squared.i have only one chicken now dovefromabove and she doesnt come out very often now Old age.We would like something that looks nice all year round when we look out of the kitchen window and when we sit out in the summer. We have seen various tv programmes we love Dahlias bekkie we would like the boarders to be full and descend in height from tallest to smallest at the front. We live in the west Midlands area aswell. I hope this covers everthing dovefromabove. Look forward to hearing from you again and thanks bekkie for your advice aswell.

I for got to say just on the left is a mexican orange blossom and behind it is a small slow growing conifer and a plum tree and there are a couple of Hellebores to the right of the mexican orange blossom.

I took your advice Verdun. I have been and purchased a golden king holly today. I must say your were roght it does look beautiful.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,978

I would enlarge the beds to start with, and dig in some compost. If some of it is in shade and you want colour even in winter then you could try some heucheras. They come with leaves in a variety of colours.

Do you prefer perennials or annuals? I would plant a basic mix of perennials with the odd shrub (which you already have) interplanted with some half-hardy annuals as annuals flower all summer long and come in some lovely colours. Violas and winter pansies extend the season to very early spring. Bulbs, such as tulips and daffodils provide early colour, but too late now. Dahlias are great for bright splashes of colour in summer and autumn. 

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hi Nigel. Got the gardening bug about seven years ago and am still learning ????. My advice would be don't be intimidated by the thought of getting started. You can always move plants or shrubs in the wrong place. There are plenty of brilliant gardening books packed with advice and online resources like this one designed to help. Decide what colours, heights and textures you want to see and then look at Garden Centre plant recommendations, books and advice from others To see if the fit your plan.

I can thoroughly recommend any of the RHS books, especially the Gardening one. Alan Titchmarsh's books have proved an excellent resource especially 'How To Be A Gardener'. Their are plenty of Garden Planning books too for inspiration as well as local gardens! Now you've got the bug you'll be forever peering at other peoples planting schemes and coveting plants!

Good luck and enjoy the fun of creating your own little bit of Garden Magic! ????

Rgds

Adam

Thanks folks for all your advice today. I have took all your advice onboard and it is very much appreciated. Looks like im going to be a regular on this forum. Lol