Mulching and garden gravel

I have just moved to a house with a garden- hooray! Currently there is only lawn and a very thin border with roses. The soil has been covered with gravel presumably to stop weeds. I was just reading about mulching for roses. Would I need to dig up all of the gravel first then put down mulch?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,487

Hello Andrea and welcome image

Hopefully the gravel has been spread on top of a fabric membrane, otherwise it's going to be a nuisance to remove.  Rather than dig the gravel it's better to get on your hands and knees if possible and scrape it off - save it - it's bound to come in handy for something before long. 

Are you going to widen the border and turn it into a herbaceous border that has roses in it, rather than just a rose bed? 

If you want ideas we love making suggestions - if you can post some pictures of your garden on here that would help us to know what your options are.  To post a picture on here click on the green tree icon above where you type your post and follow the instructions - if you're struggling let us know image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh