Forum home Wildlife gardening

porridge oats

2»

• Not even got scales anymore fairygirl! (Embarrassed smiley) certainly havent got a loaf tin! image

Im sure OH used to make muscle bread with bananas, but that was before we lived together and he lost any ability to do anything for himself! image

Chucked the nanas out for the birds, will know if they are a hit tomorrow image
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

I give the birds all breakfast cereals, biscuits, bread sticks, cheese biscuits, Xmas pud, out of date cooking stuff and they eat the lot image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

Oh bekkie I was just gonna post you a loaf tin!! But you have chucked the narnas out now! image

• Youve got no excuse BM, you can cook!image, at least the birds benefit, you sure its not Beau sneakily scoffing image
  • No use unless uve got scales too! image.....that or a battery for the set thats buried under the pile of protien stuff imageimageimage
  • Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

I wasn't aware that 'gannets' were garden birds, but they ARE !  I put out all sorts of scraps, including cooked porridge, dry porridge, cereals,  linseed, sunflower seeds, wotnot and thingummybobs, and the bloody gannets just swoop, scoff and get ft nd sassy. As i usually cook the porridge with water, it ain't too 'sticky' for them, and they quickly clean their beaks off on a branch,  We now have a goodly assortment on the lotty........... including a flock of blue tits, two great tits,  some new long tailed tits, a TREE SPARROW,  VERY RARE INDEED !, goldfinches, dunnocks, blackies, spuggies, greenies, jackers, collared doves, peasants, an occasional song thrush, robins and a wren, o wee troglodites troglodites !   It's bloody cold up there in wor shed at this time, but it's worth it !

And, so to bed, or nest box, whichever you prefer !

• Fab photos! image
  • Love your photos!   And your description of the wrens!

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

THE WRENS ARE MY FAVES,  but the thrush's name, turdus turdus is a CRACKER too-woo woo ! !

• My wrens certainly try to live up to their name - they nest underneath our cabin, which is about 2ft off the ground.  

Right, have now looked up turdus, turdus as well!   What else can you teach me today?image