porridge oats

Is it ok to put out dry porridge oats for the birds in my garden?  My neighbour says 'Yes' the birds love them.  I say 'No' as when the absorb moisture the birds will become dehydrated.  So ....... what should we do?   Feed or not feed with Porridge Oats. Thanks, Mags

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,225

Dry porridge oats are fine for birds -  blackbirds love them - after all, grain in the field is dry.  The blackbirds in our garden tuck into them regularly.   Don't put out cooked porridge as it is sticky and will congeal around a bird's beak.

Of course, put out fresh water in a birdbath too.

Lots of info here http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whatfood/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dove, that link is fab, but i couldnt see anything about fruit, ive got some bananas that are past the point we will eat them, can i put them out for the birds? image
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,126

Birds especially blackbirds will eat bananas, especially the over ripe ones, although in my house they don't get the chance to get to that stage.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,225

Our garden birds don't seem to eat bananas - but you know you can put the bananas in the freezer (in their skins) and then use them (thaw for an hour) for  banana cake when you have time. 

Or you can peel them, cut them in half and freeze them in a bag and use them to make smoothies.  That way you don't add ice so you get a fruitier smoothie image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, Dove.

I like the tip about freezing bananas.  Ta for that   Mags

• Dove - that's a great link about what to feed birds. Thanks.   Mags

• Thanks for the tips Dove, but you know me and cooking dont go well together;), the smoothie thing might have a chance the next time hes having a fad on them. I really dislike nanas, so it looks like the black birds will have something else to fight over image
  • Bear in mind that when you freeze bananas, they do go a bit brown but they are still perfectly smoothie-able or cake-able!

• Oh you know me too well Steve! Yep, i would have thought i had done it wrong and binned them! image
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,677

I like my bananas green so they don't get a chnace to go 'giraffey' as a friend used to  describe them. image

Banana loaf with the old bananas bekkie. It's very easy - honestly. Measuring and stirring, pouring into a loaf tin and sticking it in the oven. image

I haven't made any this year as I could easily an entire one by myself...image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again