Overwintering Gaura Gaudi Red

I've just picked up this plant in the GC looking very sorry for itself.  It has no growing label and searching online seems to bring up only American or French sites.  I know it doesn't like wet feet and is probably pretty drought tolerant but what is the best thing to do to keep it going through the winter?

At the moment the pot is very light so I plan to give it a good watering and then pop in my unheated greenhouse for the moment.

My soil is heavy clay though I add loads of home made compost.  I'm wondering if it will need bringing indoors each winter or if heaping loads of compost round it in the winter will enable it to be left outside.

Anyone got experience of this plant?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,265

I have only grown The Bride, from seeds, They just come up every year, never overwintered them. Was it ouside at the GC, if so you could plant it out now, then cut it back in the spring. If it was inside you need to keep it in the greenhouse and harden off later.

Chop back after the first flowers fade and you may get a second lot.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,265

Mine are only the common old Bride ones, really easy from seeds and flowered in the first year. They are very untidy plants I have them in a cage support to stop them dangling over everything else.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• thanks everybody - I think Verdun's experience is what I would expect.  It is very shrubby from a single stem and has obviously been cut back.  I think a sheltered sunny spot and lots of good drainage will be the answer, at least for the first year but it's in a very big pot and has now had a good soaking as it was very dry.  It will go up to the cold GH for now and not go into the garden until it warms up a bit.  Verdun - does it lose its leaves in winter?

• It's had a good soak and has now gone off to the GH which meant taking something else out....a pot of daffs whose roots were through the bottom of the pot despite only having an inch or so of growth on top!    Fingers crossed for next year - though as I only paid £1.50 (it was marked £9.99) it will not be the end iof the world it isn't too successful.