Forum home Plants

Geranium rozanne

KelsbelsKelsbels Posts: 54
Hi all, last September I bought two geranium rozanne from harrogate flower show, planted them both straight away & they seemed to establish pretty well. They've now disappeared!! A few brown dead stems which have fallen off but nothing else to show above ground, is this normal???

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,547

Perfectly normal - it'll reappear in the spring image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh thankyou dovefromabove, I was getting quite concerned!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,547

Not to worry - there's loads of plants that do that.  They tend to be the ones we call herbaceous perennials - a bit of information here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=362 .

I tend to leave the dead stems etc on the plant over winter and cut them back in late winter/early spring as I believe it helps to protect the crown of the plant and also provides cover for wildlife. 

Hope that helps image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KelsbelsKelsbels Posts: 54

Still no sign whatsoever of any new growth!! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

Mine's just appearing nowimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,843

Most of my geraniums are only just beginning to show again.  Haven't checked Rozanne. Don't panic yet.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • My Rozanne is just about coming through.

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I've been a bit worried about mine as well as I tried dividing it last year and I'm not sure it was quite large enough.  I thought it would be like other geraniums and forgot it has than large taproot. I cut through it because it is in a concrete planter and seemed to be outgrowing it so I thought I'd move half to the matching planter.  I guess if it doesn't come up I can just buy a new plant.   I really liked it.   Do you know if it's a problem that I put spring bulbs in the same planter?  Will it run out of room? Will I have to remove the bulbs?  I thought since the Rozanne  doesn't bloom until June it would be a good use of space.