anyone started growing their chili peppers yet?

I thinking about starting my chilies off, I usually start them the end of Jan but looking outside at the layer of snow in my garden (which has been there for over a week now) im starting to think its a silly idea,

I do have a heated propagator in my conservatory so warmth and light aren't a problems.

have anyone else started their chilies off?

• Ive kept one plant from last year, i was really late last year so didnt do very well and lost some of my plants. Thanks for posting, will try to sow my chilli seeds before thw end of the month, they can just be potted up and kept indoors if thet get big before they can go outside/ greenhouse image

As i dont have a posh propogater, i use a tin foil covered box ( box with the top and front cut out) this just helps light levels on the windowsill image
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

Kept two from last year but started off loads in December. Plants are 3 inches tall.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,440

I have one plant kept over from lastyear but won't be sowing new ones till next month when light levels are better.   My sunniest window sills already have herbs and the chilli and a baby mandarine tree so are a bit full.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915

I had four plants overwintering in a mini-greenhouse, inside my main greenhouse.

unfortunately the heavy storms we had here removed a panel from the roof and three side panels from my main greenhouse and the mini-greenhouse got thrown around inside, any plants didn't get smashed, got frosted the same night so I lost the lot. image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Sorry to hear that tree hugger. I remember once losing all my freshly germinated seeds in an all-too-flimsy plastic greenhouse. I was gutted!

On a brighter note I started a little pot of chilli seeds last week. I have it in the kitchen. I was far too late with mine last year so decided to do some successional sowing this year. 

Mine are called Long Johns! They haven't germinated yet though. 

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,155

I saved one plant from last year which has a green chilli onimagethe plants not looking in the best of health and if it gets through Feb I'll be pleased as it'll have a fighting chance of growing into it's second year.

Was going to wait till the end of Feb begining of March to sow but also plan to cheat and buy in some small plants of different varietiesimage..      

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Stacey advised me last year to sow in mid February so I'm twiddling my thumbs til then!

• I have a large polytunnel, but I have the problem every year that I want to get growing seeds early, but can't face have my window sills covered in messy seed trays.

I am now thinking that I could do with a small heated greenhouse to start seeds out each new year.

How do you guys cope with all the germinating before the risk of frosts in a polytunnel is gone??

• I've a 7 pot katie and a red sqaush chillie that are aprox one inch high in a heated propagator with a knocked together grow light on top there doing well so far

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

Just started my chillis today in a propagator on my windowsill.  I'm growing Hungarian Hot Wax variety.  I've not tried it before so fingers crossed.