Forum home Talkback

Unknown garden friend or foe

Hi

Can anyone help identify what I have seen in my garden border.   I thought I was looking at something a bird might have dropped (looked a little like entrails).  Tickness the size of a man's finger, bright pink about 4inchs long.   The thing that freaked me out was when I approach it it vanished below the soil with lightening speed  (Tremors came to mind).   Bit worried about what it might be.  Help

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Sounds like an Australian Flatworm.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,450

I'd agree. Not something to keep.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • You have worms in your garden,lucky you.If it was here we would call it a dew worm

Bill

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,450

Do dew worms have a cylindrical shape Bill? Or are they flattened like a leech? Our native worms are all round but some nasty flat woems have been brought into the country in recent years and they predate on our native ones.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?doc=11426&id=11431#ID

Info about New Zealand and Australian flatworms and what to do if you find one in your garden.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pansyface our dew worms are big fat 8 to 12 inches long and are great for fishing.

Dovefromabove the best thing you can do with those flat worms is put them on a hook.