Forum home Problem solving

Is bistort meant to go brown?

Last summer I bought a bistort plant from an 'open garden' event nearby, planted it in a sunny border and it grew bigger and spread - just the way I had hoped. Now all its leaves are brown. I have tried looking on various sites and in my trusty garden books but can't find out if they are meant to do this in winter. HELP!!!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Mine disappears completely in winterimage

• BigbarbBigbarb Posts: 54

Oh THANK YOU image

• I've also found that they do better given a bit of shade ( for me anyway )image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Mine do better in shade as well but I think in moist soil they can cope with more sun.

Hmmmmm... I wonder if I should rehome it under the tree then... but the poor thing will have only just settled after being planted - oh decisions decisionsimage

ions

• If it is doing well other than naturally dying down in winter, I'd leave well alone Bigbarb.

If you are concerned, just take a root off, pot him up and then you will have at least something to replantimage

Good idea.. not sure there is more than one root as it wasn't very big when it went in... will investigate tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help image

• Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 96

Some of them grow easily from cuttings. This is better than constant moving. They do well here in wet cold shropshire clay.

• Thanks Kate 7 not too sure what you would call the soil they are in :-/