Forum home Problem solving

Squirrel proof magnolia?

I put up with the squirrels in my garden burying nuts everywhere, digging up the lawn and my pots BUT I draw the line at them eating the buds from my magnolia. I have treasured this plant and last year it had over forty buds but after the squirrels visited I only had about six flowers to enjoy. The same happened with a peony.

Any ideas please?

• PeddlerPeddler Posts: 10

Get yourself a Jack Russell or Dachshund, but make sure you leave the patio door open!!  

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

In reality Diana7 you cant protect trees from squirrels,we inherited 7 magnolias some time ago, I understand your problem but as you  said youv drawn the line, someone to catch and move them a LONG way away is not too difficult , the other way is someone who knows how to use an air gun safely and legally, I would try the first one  first .

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,895

You would think that someone could invent something you could paint on the buds that tasts vile,  like that stuff you paint your nails with to stop biting them. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ScrapmumScrapmum Posts: 3

You could try painting on the buds that stuff that tastes vile, the stuff you paint your nails with to stop biting them. image xxxxx

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

It is of course ILLEGAL to trap any wild bird or animal (even mice or squirrels) and release them into the wild again.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,295

Try the grazers spray - it works on keeping the deer off my magnolia flowers.  Its effective against rabbits as well, so don't see why it wouldn't work with squirrels too.  Apparently it makes things taste yuccky image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462

Plant  a sacrificial camellia. We had one flower open out of hundreds last year. They only turned to the magnolia after they had eaten all the camelia flowers. image

• PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 556

You might try a cayenne pepper/water mixture (1 part pepper to 16 parts water) sprayed on.  That can deter birds, squirrels.  It can be problematic for small cats and dogs or children if used on low plants.  Remember, it is cayenne pepper! It hurts when touched and rubbed on skin or eyes. Children who can access plants where this is sprayed must be cautioned. But high up on magnolia blossoms might not be a problem for pets or children.

My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    They will only try it once Louise , when they find it smells and tastes awful they’ll leave it alone. It won’t damage the plants, that’s what it’s for. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    @Lyn, Louise is a spammer, she has a link to an essay writing website hidden in the word expert.