Forum home Plants

Alan Titchmarsh Compost

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 395

Which magazine has tested this compost sold at Waitrose and has given it a Dont Buy label. All plants they trialed did very badly, must point out it is peat free.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280

He was probably paid handsomely for the use of his name on that. I dont suppose he has a clue whats in it. 

Or is that me being cynical, maybe he has took the time to mix his own compost for retail.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• it has always struck me as odd that on this forum Monty gets slated for making money but the sainted Mr T or Percy dont

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

Just a few personnel prejudices little-ann. image

You'll probably find most of them displayed here within the next 12hoursimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,265

Alan said that when he makes and uses the compost it works well. I wonder if the manufacturers who produce it in bulk have changed anything. Here is the article in the Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2919176/Titchmarsh-s-compost-avoided-Garden-expert-s-new-line-sold-Waitrose-condemned-review-Which.html  

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Has anyone got the report from which for 2015 compost recommendations or just a summery of the report would be good please.

• sand8sand8 Posts: 23

http://www.independent.co.uk/property/gardening/which-sparks-controversy-by-telling-gardeners-not-to-bother-growing-plants-in-peatfree-compost-9101705.html

The above might help you. Basically they did not recommend one peat free compost, including BioChar Seed Compost which has been praised by Bob Flowerdew and others. The report seems to be controversial as one of the marketing managers has asked why for their particular product Which had used a seed compost instead of multi purpose compost as they trialled it for potting up plants. 

Good to know Which is promoting peat based composts!! image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,741

Don't trust a word written by Which these daysimage.  They are far more interested in selling you stuff and grabbing the headlines.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756

Maybe, just maybe because peat based composts are still better than peat free? Just a thought.

Devon.
  • sand8sand8 Posts: 23

You are probably right Hostafan1 as peat free is still in its infancy, but with the way Which have reported it, it may put off some gardeners who rely too much on reviews.

I agree with you chickyimage

• Iv found the best compost is for sale if from the allotment down the road from me everything grows really well and it's not a bad price 3 bags for ??12.00 Iv got no idea what it's got inside it though.